Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

44 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They're supposed to cross over the road before Castle Mona Avenue then cross back over by the Gaiety. It's going to be carnage in Douglas tomorrow when Summerhill opens.

From a car users point of view you can't get off the prom if travelling from Onchan before the sea terminal (except to go up Empire Terrace). From a pedestrian and cyclist point of view it's just bloody dangerous. Crossing two lines of traffic and cars turning out of Castle Mona Avenue.

On a side note I wonder if the walkway is going to be able take the weight of the vehicles on it?

All this because they couldn't admit that they'd made a mistake at Governor's Bridge and to cover up Broadway being delivered late. 

Cycling home tonight, a lot of motorists let me through mainly because I don’t think they could believe what they were seeing

State of the road not state of me...

Edited by Neil Down
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also dont understand why the road into the prom I'd blocked by bordellos which means you have to come round lord street and down victoria street to get onto the prom, the barriers appear not to have any point to them they are just there. The traffic around lord street gets heaving during the day 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I also dont understand why the road into the prom I'd blocked by bordellos which means you have to come round lord street and down victoria street to get onto the prom, the barriers appear not to have any point to them they are just there. The traffic around lord street gets heaving during the day 

I have been caught out by the barriers because the signage was non existent when they first did it.

I'm beginning to think the DoI are just trolling the Island.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Better minds than you or I dreamt it up!

19 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I'm beginning to think the DoI are just trolling the Island.

Or more specifically, the Island's taxpayers. Without, apparently, any politicians with the wits or wherewithall to see it or do anything about it.

Alf Cannan announced during his "COVID" Budget that this year's heritage railway funding was being diverted into the promenade to counter the £700k(?) overspend (then). I wouldn't bet on that being the last of it, personally.

In DOI offices they'll be hoping COVID lasts a bit longer....

• Like 2

Overspend of 700k . Any bets thats for works up to March . Then we will be seriously into big money for all the bits that their not getting done by March and starting again Sept 2021 . Or maybe its even worse and overspend up to now ! Why would they divert money as it was a 25 million budget so maybe its all gone . One thing is certain they wont care !  

• Like 1

It seems to be good news ... bad news in any case:

The full length of Douglas promenade will reopen to two-way traffic this morning (8 Sep) for the first time in several months.

It will be subject to a 20mph speed limit, with southbound vehicles directed onto the promenade walkway.

Which looks like it is going to make things worse for existing users, especially those not in cars.  It will be interesting to hear any reports, though I suspect many people will just continue to avoid the Prom as a general clusterfuck zone anyway.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It seems to be good news ... bad news in any case:

Which looks like it is going to make things worse for existing users, especially those not in cars.  It will be interesting to hear any reports, though I suspect many people will just continue to avoid the Prom as a general clusterfuck zone anyway.

I drive along it every day, it's never particularly busy traffic wise. Apart from the disruption, which could have been better managed I'm sure, there's good progress being made in my humble opinion.

24 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This clip is from the minutes of the first "Strategic" Board Meeting. The NB is Nick Black and he is obviously a "no compromise" man.

Screenshot_2020-09-08_18-50-52.png.86dcd4a25b6fad204030d06890838ac5.png

Are we sure it's no "compromise"?

I can think of another word beginning "comp"...

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo