Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I see they're kicking off now about DBC not replacing the promenade "necklace" festoon lighting as and when the prom ever progresses enough to allow it.

Yes the Douglas festoon baubles. Or Cllr Christians Pearl Necklace as they have recently been referred to.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

For the charging points, the planning application is 2000952B, and is the Pod Point Twin from pod-point.com.

But a hand-written note on the planning application states that they want white columns, not black.

So are all those drivers of petrol or diesel propelled cars paying for this load of shitty charging points for subsidised so called green cars to use. What price is green ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So are all those drivers of petrol or diesel propelled cars paying for this load of shitty charging points for subsidised so called green cars to use. What price is green ?

Well, I am old and obviously a bit slow on the uptake, but can someone explain to me how an electric car that is running on electricity that is generated by  burning natural gas can be considered to be carbon-free? ( Not to mention any conversion losses along the way, battery manufacturing, battery disposal, and other stuff...)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Well, I am old and obviously a bit slow on the uptake, but can someone explain to me how an electric car that is running on electricity that is generated by  burning natural gas can be considered to be carbon-free? ( Not to mention any conversion losses along the way, battery manufacturing, battery disposal, and other stuff...)

Well said

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You won't be lauging when I pass you in my battery powered car driven by a forward wind generator. (maybe a chuckle though)

article-0-12AA3686000005DC-915_638x374.j

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

14 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Like many things, mentioning reality to anyone in IoM Government doesn't meet with their long discussed agenda, they refuse to discuss it. They are always right, we are Plebs and know nothing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Like many things, mentioning reality to anyone in IoM Government doesn't meet with their long discussed agenda, they refuse to discuss it. They are always right, we are Plebs and know nothing. 

The politicians are rushing headlong into making everything electric, in spite of (according to the last data I saw) the IoM having the most expensive electricity in Europe, bar Guernsey.

While he was chairman of the MUA, Allinson's contribution to reducing the cost of electricity was to stick another £20 million on the debt, so that everyone could get a brand new electricity meter.

Maybe the intention is to make car usage too expensive for the less well-off, so they have to use the gold-plated buses - or the modern trams running on the prom.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Well said

It's not really that simple is it. As we move to renewable sources of energy (wind/solar) then electric cars will be truly zero emissions. A diesel, petrol or even hybrid can never be this. At the moment, electric cars on the island are low emission as natural gas is a cleaner fuel and the power station is more efficient than an internal combustion engine. 

• Like 1

a/transmission losses from power station to end user and losses conversion from 240v ac to vehicle storage system and losses during transmission, storage  and conversion from storage to motive power?

b/emissions created in manufacturing, transporting, erecting, maintaining, renewing wind/solar energy?

• Like 1