Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

We will have a wind farm on the island in the near future, I would imagine it will be used along side a new interconnector cable bringing in clean energy to keep Pulrose for emergency backup in the future. 

We cant just say just because we are a small island we don't count to global emissions, its the way the world HAS to go to survive.

For those that say what about when the wind does not blow we can use Photovoltaic, they are cheaper every day, and use the hills to store energy, i.e The Snaefell mountain rail tracks could have generators driven up when we have excess power, parked at the top then released downhill, generating energy as they go. Its tried and tested technology. 

If that does not tickle your fancy then it would be criminal not to use the tides and currents at the top and bottom of the island. It just needs a change of mindset, I was a petrol head but now see the damage we have done to this planet, we need to do whatever we can no matter how small. 

• Like 1

The biggest cause of the world's carbon emissions problem is the never ending growth of the population.

That aspect has not been addressed by this gov.

If the IoM gov. wants to be at the forefront of the leading edge of providing solutions, maybe they could set a good example by proving that this island can still be governed efficiently with fewer people as MHKs and civil servants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

a/transmission losses from power station to end user and losses conversion from 240v ac to vehicle storage system and losses during transmission, storage  and conversion from storage to motive power?

b/emissions created in manufacturing, transporting, erecting, maintaining, renewing wind/solar energy?

Yeah. Fair points. But I still think the internal combination engine comes last

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Cheers. The only point I was making is electric is not pollution free by any measurement.............Yes I/C is very inefficient.

Being alive means we are polluting. I think if we all do our bit then its a start. Personally I hope my next car will be electric, hanging on to my aging Berlingo until an electric version is released. As for electricity generation we have loads of wind, sun (yes, really), waves and tides. Battery storage can be used as backup. I recon the Island could literally go green with the necessary investment. 

43 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Being alive means we are polluting. I think if we all do our bit then its a start. Personally I hope my next car will be electric, hanging on to my aging Berlingo until an electric version is released. As for electricity generation we have loads of wind, sun (yes, really), waves and tides. Battery storage can be used as backup. I recon the Island could literally go green with the necessary investment. 

Quite right. Tidal has massive potential as it is a given that it happens all the time. No one has really got it cracked yet but when they do it will be a game changer for a small island

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

We will have a wind farm on the island in the near future, I would imagine it will be used along side a new interconnector cable bringing in clean energy to keep Pulrose for emergency backup in the future. 

We cant just say just because we are a small island we don't count to global emissions, its the way the world HAS to go to survive.

For those that say what about when the wind does not blow we can use Photovoltaic, they are cheaper every day, and use the hills to store energy, i.e The Snaefell mountain rail tracks could have generators driven up when we have excess power, parked at the top then released downhill, generating energy as they go. Its tried and tested technology. 

If that does not tickle your fancy then it would be criminal not to use the tides and currents at the top and bottom of the island. It just needs a change of mindset, I was a petrol head but now see the damage we have done to this planet, we need to do whatever we can no matter how small. 

Wacko

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The biggest cause of the world's carbon emissions problem is the never ending growth of the population.

That aspect has not been addressed by this gov.

If the IoM gov. wants to be at the forefront of the leading edge of providing solutions, maybe they could set a good example by proving that this island can still be governed efficiently with fewer people as MHKs and civil servants.

WTAF 

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

WTAF

I had to look that up.

What I mean is that global warming is not THE problem, but that it is merely a symptom of the problem. The real  problem is that there are far too many people on this planet.

I was suggesting that the IoM gov. should lead the way in addressing this problem by reducing the population - starting with themselves.

But that was a cynical comment - the IoM gov. is not capable of understanding the cause of any problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I had to look that up.

What I mean is that global warming is not THE problem, but that it is merely a symptom of the problem. The real  problem is that there are far too many people on this planet.

I was suggesting that the IoM gov. should lead the way in addressing this problem by reducing the population - starting with themselves.

But that was a cynical comment - the IoM gov. is not capable of understanding the cause of any problem.

Sowing up the flanges of all the single mother's would be a good start!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Sowing up the flanges of all the single mother's would be a good start!

Maybe in India and China, that would be a good start

( keep the flanges intact locally, just a snip may do the job )

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Just for the record, my workshop is totally powered by solar panels, I built an electric Triumph Herald way back in 1966 or thereabouts and subsequently have built many electric vehicles, waterwheels and windmills as well as giving talks about energy production by these means, so you are preaching to the converted.

I have recently converted a ride on mower to all electric, charged by the solar panels so I believe my, 'green', credentials are intact. I just don't normally shout it from the hilltops and I get very grumpy about the many reckless claims about so called pollution free electricity. Follow the pollution pathway for all energy production and I think many folk would be very surprised.

No arguments intended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Boris's post starts well, goes off the rails (get it?) in the middle but then ends quite well. Think he needs a lesson on physics re the snaefell railway and potential energy. Tidal power is not yet a viable option....even though it has massive potential.

Yes I know you are using energy to pull the generators uphill but you use EXCESS power when you have over generation of say wind power. You use the mountain/ height as a store of energy, when the wind does not blow you release the generators downhill. Its just the same as putting the excess energy into batteries but greener.

Edited by Boris Johnson

13 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Yes I know you are using energy to pull the generators uphill but you use EXCESS power when you have over generation of say wind power. You use the mountain as a store of energy, when the wind does not blow you release the generators downhill. Its just the same as putting the excess energy into batteries but greener.

But how long would it generate for  before reaching the bottom? You would need something like the Llandudno set up to get any mileage out of it.