Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Just now, finlo said:

But how long would it generate for  before reaching the bottom? You would need something like the Llandudno set up to get any mileage out of it.

I don't know but you could have lots of generators coming down one after another? The documentary I watched about this type of power storage did not have as steep or as long, no where near as long as the trip from the top down to Laxey. It would make all the money spent on the line worthwhile...……………….

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Quite right. Tidal has massive potential as it is a given that it happens all the time. No one has really got it cracked yet but when they do it will be a game changer for a small island

Tidal is (more or less) predictable, but it is not even, producing different levels of power across the day and the month.  So you would need a lot of storage to even out the unequal levels of input  

The relevant supplement to the Curran Report makes interesting reading, though anything that involves the Manx government and large capital construction projects fills me with dread, even if it involves old technology such as roads, rather than more speculative stuff as here.

53 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What I mean is that global warming is not THE problem, but that it is merely a symptom of the problem. The real  problem is that there are far too many people on this planet.

Actually that's not really the problem, except in the trivial sense that if there had never been any people on the planet, man-made global warming wouldn't be happening.  But countries such as China that have cut back their population growth massively, have also increased their carbon emissions per head at the same time, by a lot.  They're both urgent problems that need tackling and they are linked obviously, but one doesn't cause the other and you can't ignore one by thinking you can fix the other.

18 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh I see. At Llanberis they have an amazing pumped storage power station. 

These power recovery systems are to provide power at peak times. They have made use of natural high level lakes which can be pumped up to. We do not have a high level lake to pump to (and it would cost millions to build one (if there were a suitable spot).

The hydro turbine in Sulby Glen generate less that 1000kws so we are talking small beans here. 

WRT Trams running down the mountain. Again it would be only any good for peak lopping and not an alternate energy source

Good ideas will be needed though and maybe a culmination of everyone's ideas will come up with something

The wise only possess ideas; the great part of mankind are possessed by them. The value of an idea has nothing whatever to do with the sincerity of the man who expresses it. The more an idea is developed, the more concise becomes its expression; the more a tree is pruned, the better is the fruit.