Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

That’s not fair at all Numbnuts. It is far from a simple road with a few pipes under. Go and look at it. Everything is being altered too to a massive degree. It isn’t just rip up and re- lay the top surface. I know that you know better than what you posted.

That's kind of the point here dilli, these bumbling clowns appear to have not done their homework prior to creating carnage on the prom

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

That’s not fair at all Numbnuts. It is far from a simple road with a few pipes under. Go and look at it. Everything is being altered too to a massive degree. It isn’t just rip up and re- lay the top surface. I know that you know better than what you posted.

Thank you for the credit you give me . Its a road , yes a long one but still a road , rinse repeat and repeat till you reach the end . Yes it has pipes and the likes , so what , again rinse and repeat . Its been vastly altered as without those early plans pipes were put in ad hoc and then they found they couldn't lay the next one , hence the reason the Prom Walkway has been dug up. Never supposed to happen !!! When you build a house , its really not complicated and most actually in here could achieve it with thought and planning . Break it down , its a box joined to another box and so on . The road is the same. With plans and everything thought off in advance it should have been realtively easy for competent people to oversee and carry it out . You know they allowed I believe 4 fire hydrants around the Villiers area. Nobody thought to ask Fire brigade how many were required. Oh dear , not enough , but we cant put more in because pipes are in the way , etc etc . This has been the big issue and the reason for so many delays and lack of personnel on site. No plans to move forward . What about forgetting the cabling and lights for horse trams at junction where they cross over the road !! Forgotten and not included in spec . That will be another 900 k thank you ! Ohh we haven't the budget now sorry . No Dilligaf its a job too far ! Ohh and while your contemplating what I've typed , have a think as to when a DOI job has EVER come in on time and remotely close to budget !? Some are still not finished . NSC , The Cabbage , Radar , Richmond hill , St marys School and so on , By the way I have carried out pretty well all the tasks personally that are happening on the Prom be it in a obviously smaller scale . Theres a procedure which DOI  haven't read that book .. Its costing the tax payers many many millions and Alfie boy will be along with hitting the tax payers even more next budget . Also as a footnote , the main reason given for embarking on the scheme was because there was loads of voids and its going to swallow a bus or car one day soon . There hasnt been one found apart from that old toilet at bottom of broadway and also the original spec had them digging far deeper than they have so they have cut corners there too . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Thank you for the credit you give me . Its a road , yes a long one but still a road , rinse repeat and repeat till you reach the end . Yes it has pipes and the likes , so what , again rinse and repeat . 

Was looking at the Facebook posts on the pipes before it’s like nobody ever expected there to be a big fucking gas main under a stretch of road that feeds services to over 100 hotels and apartments. So now we all have to clap these key workers replacing a frigging gas main like they’re Isambard Kingdom Brunel completely transforming the way civil engineering works.  It’s a basic infrastructure job for any competent service provider. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Was looking at the Facebook posts on the pipes before it’s like nobody ever expected there to be a big fucking gas main under a stretch of road that feeds services to over 100 hotels and apartments. So now we all have to clap these key workers replacing a frigging gas main like they’re Isambard Kingdom Brunel completely transforming the way civil engineering works.  It’s a basic infrastructure job for any competent service provider. 

To be fair , at least up to recently , Stephen Christians lads have come out of it pretty well . Always on site and cracking on. Definately though not how they would have tackled the job if it had been planned correctly. As so many have said , start at one end and away you go , rinse repeat . But as I keep saying as there was insufficent detailed plans to work too , it was very piece meal as we all have seen and most commented on. Again when sold to us plebs it was to be done in I think it was 300 yds blocks. That went out the window very quickly as too much day work was getting booked due too.....yes you got it lack of plans ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Are you ok ?

Latest minutes of the Strategic Board, although already a month old. 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/20_08_14_signed_douglas_promenade_project_board_minutes_redacted.pdf

A few interesting points. Both Black and Robinson missing - presumably both on holiday.

No mention of the the fact that two-way traffic was to be reintroduced on 8th September, suggesting this was a last minute change of plan.

Worryingly, Burroughs Stewart have been asked to come up with a solution for horse tram signalling. Wait for another £1m plus solution to appear. Burroughs Stewart are the guys who designed the tram tracks, complete with cracks, fading etc.

Minister Baker clearly getting very agitated about the inability of the contractors to keep to the timetable, and the penny is beginning to drop that the critical target of 1st April 2021 completion is going to be missed.

Baker already starting to pay the price for backing incompetents like Black and Robinson, when he was appointed, when it was obvious to everyone he was making a huge error. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Latest minutes of the Strategic Board, although already a month old. 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/myprom.im/20_08_14_signed_douglas_promenade_project_board_minutes_redacted.pdf

A few interesting points. Both Black and Robinson missing - presumably both on holiday.

No mention of the the fact that two-way traffic was to be reintroduced on 8th September, suggesting this was a last minute change of plan.

Minister Baker clearly getting very agitated about the inability of the contractors to keep to the timetable, and the penny is beginning to drop that the critical target of 1st April 2021 completion is going to be missed.

Baker already starting to pay the price for backing incompetents like Black and Robinson, when he was appointed, when it was obvious to everyone he was making a huge error. 

Baker rattled my cage when he made light of the cracking on the red concrete early on in his tenure . Insignificant most of them . Yeah right . In a approx 300 mtre length there were approx 472 from memory in that area alone . Yes I counted them as he wound me up making light of a serious issue. Baker hasnt a clue either as neither did Harmer . And yes it was a last minute decision as there was no way out as it was clearly running overtime again and they spun it to look as if they were doing everyone a favour by opening the roads. Sadly they forget the whole contract was due to finish next month . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It annoys me that these politicians suddenly become excuse makers for the contractor. The client ie the taxpayer just doesn't get a look in. 

They forget they are representing us, not their mates in Government and Tynwald, and the contractor.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It annoys me that these politicians suddenly become excuse makers for the contractor. The client ie the taxpayer just doesn't get a look in. 

They forget they are representing us, not their mates in Government and Tynwald, and the contractor.

If you look back through the minutes over the months of strategic meetings you will , reading between the lines see its far from the contractors fault . On My Prom web site . Makes interesting reading .

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You have a lot to learn. 
We elect them to the post they then  Democratically voteon the issue. We can’t then complain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You have a lot to learn. 
We elect them to the post they then  Democratically voteon the issue. We can’t then complain.

Yes we can and will continue to do so.

For a start, we don't elect them to a post. We elect them to become an MHK. It seems you have a lot to learn my boy

23 hours ago, Banker said:

Howie did his mate Harmer a great gift in passing the basket case of DOI to Baker a year before the elections!!

The interim appointment of Rob Callister to DOI.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/callister-to-doi-just-an-interim-appointment/

Question 2 states:

Consequently no members have been formally appointed to Departments on an interim basis by the Council of Ministers during this or any previous administration.

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t200915 Early Written Answers.pdf

So just wtf is really going on, either they are just playing silly buggers or there is some more devious manipulation of the truth going on here.

Since Rob Callister took over from Jason Moorhouse on Ports, it seems to have gone down hill some what.