Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Er, it IS a major job. Sorry, but you said that wrong.

Pedancy Dilli. Plus you've got to look at Longworth's involvement with the extension of the MER that was some sort of secret apparently. It's a cock up on a massive scale with certain parties well out of their depth. Hence the ongoing "flexibility" with timescales, arrangements and Lord knows what else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Pedancy Dilli. Plus you've got to look at Longworth's involvement with the extension of the MER that was some sort of secret apparently. It's a cock up on a massive scale with certain parties well out of their depth. Hence the ongoing "flexibility" with timescales, arrangements and Lord knows what else.

I don’t actually agree with any extended track for the MER. I love it the way it is. Even as a horse tram lover, I think the track 

should end at the Sefton.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Kind of you to waste so much Gov. time, with them having to answer stupid questions, obvious loaded for whatever reason. Hope you feel better now.

Actually as a tax payer I have the right to ask questions.

Knowing someone who ran these type of projects and their disgust and disbelief at how this has taken place and is taking place then yes I feel better.

At least when it's over we have some previous answers to recall when the budget is double, there is no comeback on the contractor and our govt says.. lessons will be learnt.

Ps..the parent company of the contractor have enough staff in the UK to be able to have 200 ppl a day on site...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maire said:

Knowing someone who ran these type of projects and their disgust and disbelief at how this has taken place and is taking place then yes I feel better.

At least when it's over we have some previous answers to recall when the budget is double, there is no comeback on the contractor and our govt says.. lessons will be learnt.

Ps..the parent company of the contractor have enough staff in the UK to be able to have 200 ppl a day on site...

So just how many such promenades has your “friend” refurbished, replacing all the services beneath ? Give it up.

Edited by dilligaf

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

So just how many such promenades has your “friend” refurbished, replacing all the services beneath ? Give it up.

They MUST have known about the vast majority of services beneath.

When I say 'they' I mean the government and its various agencies (MEA/MU etc). If the contractor wasn't properly informed at the time of tendering then it is a license to print money as an extra to contract. There will be wheelbarrows of cash trundling away each day from this contract accordingly.

8 hours ago, Maire said:

Re your PS.

Are all those 200 staff sitting at home doing nothing and just waiting for the chance to come here for a few months away from their families etc. You may find they are all employed in the booming construction market in the UK. Construction workers are in scarce supply and we are not the top of the list. Believe me.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Re your PS.

Are all those 200 staff sitting at home doing nothing and just waiting for the chance to come here for a few months away from their families etc. You may find they are all employed in the booming construction market in the UK. Construction workers are in scarce supply and we are not the top of the list. Believe me.

I’m sure if the price is right we could get workers from UK and house them in empty hotels for a few months to get the bloody promenade finished 

The staffing or lack of isn’t the issue, it’s the lack of a proper plan to start with.   It’s a major road, a major project, managed by people who aren’t up to the job.  The contractors are working with people who don’t know what they are doing.  I repeat, how has Nick still got that job? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

They MUST have known about the vast majority of services beneath.

When I say 'they' I mean the government and its various agencies (MEA/MU etc). If the contractor wasn't properly informed at the time of tendering then it is a license to print money as an extra to contract. There will be wheelbarrows of cash trundling away each day from this contract accordingly.

Yeah. The digital records that the Victorians and Edwardian engineers left must be great. They also contain all the records of the years of resurfacing and rebuilding that has taken place over the last 100 years or so. Well not so!

I love these these keyboard warriors who know nothing.

I'm not sticking up for the DOI. It's gone wrong and someone must be accountable. But hapless comments like this are just a waste of everyone's time.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. The digital records that the Victorians and Edwardian engineers left must be great. They also contain all the records of the years of resurfacing and rebuilding that has taken place over the last 100 years or so. Well not so!

I love these these keyboard warriors who know nothing.

I'm not sticking up for the DOI. It's gone wrong and someone must be accountable. But hapless comments like this are just a waste of everyone's time.

No you're wrong.  Wrong, smug and wrong again.

The sewers throughout Douglas are well mapped. And that includes every upgrade since the many drawings produced by the Victorian engineers installed the forward thinking gravity and syphon sewer system, through to IRIS and beyond.

There are records for electricity maintenance and upgrades since the days of the Douglas Corporation DC supply. 

The GPO...Manx Te;ecom.....have been upgraded and maintained ever since Queen Victoria had her first iPhone.

Yes of course there are going to unknowns, I'm not disputing that. But your hapless post is just a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Er, it IS a major job. Sorry, but you said that wrong.

Sorry , your wrong , its not a major job apart from the length. Nothing their doing below ground is any big deal and just standard civil engineering works. They have made it a major job by incompetence and inept planning. Yes its on a bigger scale as in ducts and services but its all done systematically , or should be ,  and away you go. The only real difference is while before you'd need a 1 metre trench now you need 2 metre one. Kerbs and paviers and the likes is all standard installation . Everytime MUA. or Manx Gas renew services its only whats happening on the prom. And yes as I've said before I have done everyone of the jobs down there apart from Gas and its all about planning and program of works to make it seamless. Hence the issues , they havent clearly had either .  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sorry , your wrong , its not a major job apart from the length. Nothing their doing below ground is any big deal and just standard civil engineering works. They have made it a major job by incompetence and inept planning. Yes its on a bigger scale as in ducts and services but its all done systematically , or should be ,  and away you go. The only real difference is while before you'd need a 1 metre trench now you need 2 metre one. Kerbs and paviers and the likes is all standard installation . Everytime MUA. or Manx Gas renew services its only whats happening on the prom. And yes as I've said before I have done everyone of the jobs down there apart from Gas and its all about planning and program of works to make it seamless. Hence the issues , they havent clearly had either .  

You quoted what I posted just to be pedantic re the post I quoted.