Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

It took the Victorians 6 months to build the road between Derby Castle. and Groudle, complete with adjacent tram tracks.

It took a similar length of time to build the Snaefell Mountain Railway.

With the Prom, you've got a head start, because it's already a level bit of road!

It's a kind of Parkinson's Law, The job will expand to take as much money as there is potentially available tied in with the degree of greed and/or incompetence of those running the shop. Which in the case of the Isle of Man is oodles and oodles. We've seen it with such as IRIS and most particularly the MEA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Just as an aside, is this what happened to Charters and Crouch and the others in DHSC? I think there has been around 6 or 7 since Killip hasn't there?

Charters was an outsider who brought in a lot of other outsiders, reorganising the Department.  He was embarrassingly useless, his appointees were useless and his reorganisation was chaotic.  Normally this wouldn't have mattered that much, but because he was an outsider he didn't have the mafia-like protection of his CEO colleagues, who also didn't like all the newly created jobs going to Charters' chums rather than theirs'.  So he got replaced by Crouch (a semi-insider) who was supposed to clear up the mess.

I was never quite clear why Crouch left - Quayle (or rather Greenhow) had sacked the Minister rather than him after all.  He clearly wasn't very popular or particularly effective in the Department, though that wouldn't make much difference normally, and the budget was out of control, but that's nothing new.  I wonder if he refused to co-operate with the proposed Manx Care nonsense.

As far as I can remember, all the other CEOs were temporary internal appointments to cover the abrupt departures of the above pair.

1 hour ago, joebean said:

As far as I recall Chris Corlett was not removed but decided he had enough and resigned. By and large, CEOs are only accountable to the Chief Secretary and he is not held to account by anybody. It’s a cosy Club where incompetence is only met by a continued high salary. The sort of environment where the likes of Mr Black thrive, apparently. 

Corlett's 'resignation' was caused by the Vision Nine fiasco, where the outsourcing of the TT, which he presided over, threatened to make the event a disaster and (more important) put all sorts of undefined and uncosted obligations onto other Departments, the Police etc.  They all banded together and demanded it be stopped, which it was.  Corlett was the fall guy (though arguably many more should have been pushed), the DED was eventually rebranded as the DfE and all those involved had large amounts of money thrown at them to keep them quiet.

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Charters was an outsider who brought in a lot of other outsiders, reorganising the Department.  He was embarrassingly useless, his appointees were useless and his reorganisation was chaotic. 

As I recall, Mr Quayle as Health Minister was particularly instrumental in bringing in Mr Charters and he thought ne was a spiffing chap. I saw them as two peas in a pod but I must be wrong because one of them became Chief Minister of the Isle of Man.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barlow said:

As I recall, Mr Quayle as Health Minister was particularly instrumental in bringing in Mr Charters and he thought ne was a spiffing chap. I saw them as two peas in a pod but I must be wrong because one of them became Chief Minister of the Isle of Man.

But but , Charters rides a Harley !!! So he must be a top bloke ! Said Quayle the muppet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

The Quayle/Charters love-in started to unravel when they went to New Zealand together, to review the so-called 'Christchurch Model' of integrated healthcare. The story goes, that at the start of the trip, they were at Manchester Airport waiting the board their first flight to Dubai. A drink, or something, was spilled on Quayle's shirt and jacket, so he had to go and buy a new one in an airport shop. The only thing available in a sufficiently ample size was a replica Manchester United shirt. And so, he flew to New Zealand, so attired. 

He and Charters barely spoke again, after that....... 

Went to the food festival yesterday  (that is quite another story). Prom is an absolute bomb site. As for finding the right bus stops - forget it. Signage is really poor. 

Apparently work teams are being offered bonuses if they complete their specific task in the time allocated on top of their wages. Double Bubble.

37 minutes ago, Nellie said:

, so he had to go and buy a new one in an airport shop. The only thing available in a sufficiently ample size was a replica Manchester United shirt. And so, he flew to New Zealand, so attired. 

Is Howie a Liverpool supporter then? I reckon it would have been because he couldn't find a blue shirt with a white collar and cuffs, like from the 1980s.

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

The Quayle/Charters love-in started to unravel when they went to New Zealand together, to review the so-called 'Christchurch Model' of integrated healthcare. The story goes, that at the start of the trip, they were at Manchester Airport waiting the board their first flight to Dubai. A drink, or something, was spilled on Quayle's shirt and jacket, so he had to go and buy a new one in an airport shop. The only thing available in a sufficiently ample size was a replica Manchester United shirt. And so, he flew to New Zealand, so attired. 

He and Charters barely spoke again, after that....... 

Bull dung

14 hours ago, WTF said:

gawne got the slough resurfaced for half a million a quid in a couple of months, maybe he wasn't quite the useless cunt we all thought,   oh hang on....

He never had any say in what happened in “ slough”. Thought you were Manx ! 
PG was never, is not and never will be what you think is a “useless cunt”. 
You just show your low IQ posting that childish rubbish. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Charters was an outsider who brought in a lot of other outsiders, reorganising the Department.  He was embarrassingly useless, his appointees were useless and his reorganisation was chaotic.  Normally this wouldn't have mattered that much, but because he was an outsider he didn't have the mafia-like protection of his CEO colleagues, who also didn't like all the newly created jobs going to Charters' chums rather than theirs'.  So he got replaced by Crouch (a semi-insider) who was supposed to clear up the mess.

I was never quite clear why Crouch left - Quayle (or rather Greenhow) had sacked the Minister rather than him after all.  He clearly wasn't very popular or particularly effective in the Department, though that wouldn't make much difference normally, and the budget was out of control, but that's nothing new.  I wonder if he refused to co-operate with the proposed Manx Care nonsense.

As far as I can remember, all the other CEOs were temporary internal appointments to cover the abrupt departures of the above pair.

Corlett's 'resignation' was caused by the Vision Nine fiasco, where the outsourcing of the TT, which he presided over, threatened to make the event a disaster and (more important) put all sorts of undefined and uncosted obligations onto other Departments, the Police etc.  They all banded together and demanded it be stopped, which it was.  Corlett was the fall guy (though arguably many more should have been pushed), the DED was eventually rebranded as the DfE and all those involved had large amounts of money thrown at them to keep them quiet.

This thread has drifted a little off topic, but in an interesting way.  Senior government bods usually leave having signed a gagging order of some kind IMO, so we can never know the real ins and outs of what happened.

Over the years, anyone I have talked to who is remotely close to Charters says that he was sacked for being disruptive and very aggressive with colleagues.  He got a job in St Helena I think but lasted a few weeks.  He is now a home care 'consultant' in North Carolina of all places (and with it being the US a consultant could be a home help).  His online resume fails to mention his time on the Island, but his main career is there.

Corlett left as the TT fiasco was becoming public, and now sells photocopiers at Manx Business Solutions.

The DHSC pair of Couch and Morris both went on to probably better things after leaving.  Morris in the management team of the Nightingale Hospital set up in the Excel Centre in London (saw that on Twitter), and Couch's LinkedIn profile says that he is running something in Africa.  Their departure certainly seems to be linked in some way to the Jonny Michael work, and the steady addition of Michael's cronies since then hints at people walking who didn't buy in to the starry eyed credulity of the Boy Vampire and Mr Toad when being told what to do by a knight of the realm.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Gawne is / was a total clown. 

Phil is a very clever man. He is a genuine Manxie and is fluent in our language. He has more qualifications than you could ever aspire to. He is very accomplished as a musician and singer and has done more for the Isle of Man than you could do in a thousand years, even if you did ever grow up.  You really are becoming sadder as time goes by. 

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Phil is a very clever man. He is a genuine Manxie and is fluent in our language. He has more qualifications than you could ever aspire to. He is very accomplished as a musician and singer and has done more for the Isle of Man than you could do in a thousand years, even if you did ever grow up.  You really are becoming sadder as time goes by. 

I’ve got one thing he hasn’t. A full time job. 

• Like 1