Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

What he stated about the budget was partially correct as the end of the year was fast approaching although the real reason behind getting the Sloc overlayed was more to do with the then DFE as the were trying to promote hillclimbing etc also the sloc was real easy to complete as the lazy buggers at DOI knew there was little preparations to carry out ie no drainage to deal with, no services and most of all no properties along the route which allowed easy access to the crew doing the job, sounds like a typical JR job as he wanted to put tarmac down at every opportunity and the quicker the better. 

Even the budget excuse turned out not to be true.  Looking at the actuals the following year and the relevant section ended up well over budget.  I got the impression that they had promised the contractor enough work to keep them busy and the contractor wanted something that was (as you observe) as easy to do as possible -  Nick Black admitted as much to a Committee.

Presumably this maximised profit for the contractor, though it would also have minimised what the DoI needed to do as well.  Whether it needed to be done at all never seems to have been considered and the hill-climbs were very much a excused dreamt up afterwards (and hardly were allowed to happen as Derek will no doubt tell you).

Incidentally this turns out to be the right topic to discuss this on.  I'd forgotten, but one reason they gave for doing it was that an earlier version of the Prom scheme had been halted, so the obligation was to give their chums in the construction industry another nice juicy contract to compensate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm afraid it all went pear shaped for him when he made the 'need to use the budget leftover up so we resurfaced the sloc' It was a naïve statement in the extreme and  sadly the end of him. I don't know - Not the words of a clever man? Or just a little slip up?

all departments except health seem to need to use the budget up so they don't lose it year upon  year,  this just suggests they  have too much budget in the first place.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 3

We certainly still seem to be awash with lucre though. No end to the spending and the projects. I think we must be all worrying over nothing....

ETA £10M now for a new science block at QE2 as well (MR News). We're flush!!

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1