Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

They are laid, conections on gas and some electric are made off . And the water over the gas looks like its ready for a connection to it . Even the electric under the gas pipes looks like new connection points .

You misunderstood my post, what I meant was such rules only apply to you and me the utilities lash them in as they please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, finlo said:

You misunderstood my post, what I meant was such rules only apply to you and me the utilities lash them in as they please.

Dohhhh sorry . Yes they can do but thats just ridiculous what they have done there as you will know I'm sure breaks every rule .  

20 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Rules , minimum .

When water supply pipe is to be laid near to other utilities supplies such as gas or electricity, it should be a minimum of 350mm away.

Gas 

Depth (minimum)

Min Depth.    750mm

Max Depth.    1350mm

Min Gap Other Services.  350mm

Trench Width.   250 mm plus pipe diameter 

Electric supply in roads 

700mm to 1000mm deep 

on that picture yellow is Gas , Blue water and the other black cables are Electric 

Where is this referenced from. Looks like a guide not a rule to me

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Genuinely interested to know and not just being interested. Is it a rule or a law or a guide. Not really sure what a rule is though.

There's basic minimum depths and procedures to work too in ground work so as if digging up is needed infrastructure can be located safely. Services have to be separated  trenchs and suitable depths and distance apart . Not hard rule as such but minimum standards to work too. When building control visit to sign off thats what they look for . There pretty strict or were when I used to do services but dont know on government jobs but what that picture above is showing shouldnt be acceptable as its dangerous . High voltage electric lay on top of gas is not good for obvious reasons.  Also apart from that depth is incorrect also .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any Govt contractor is obliged to work to the correct standards (or should be). The standards are there for a reason. I worked for one for a while and stuff had to be signed off.

What is going on, if the pictures uploaded are correct, is not only unacceptable, it has the potential to be extremely dangerous. In particular for any future excavation work.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Any Govt contractor is obliged to work to the correct standards (or should be). The standards are there for a reason. I worked for one for a while and stuff had to be signed off.

What is going on, if the pictures uploaded are correct, is not only unacceptable, it has the potential to be extremely dangerous. In particular for any future excavation work.

Hey, what do you expect for a measly 25+++ million pound contract!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There's basic minimum depths and procedures to work too in ground work so as if digging up is needed infrastructure can be located safely. Services have to be separated  trenchs and suitable depths and distance apart . Not hard rule as such but minimum standards to work too. When building control visit to sign off thats what they look for . There pretty strict or were when I used to do services but dont know on government jobs but what that picture above is showing shouldnt be acceptable as its dangerous . High voltage electric lay on top of gas is not good for obvious reasons.  Also apart from that depth is incorrect also .

750mm minimum cover for gas under a road, 600mm for a footpath.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:45 AM, slinkydevil said:

The board meeting was told that the Post Office was planning to issue a series of commemorative stamps to coincide with the planned reopening of the Promenade.

Madness.

It's actually worse that.  I assumed this was just the Post Office doing its usual thing of issuing a commemorative stamp every time someone opens an envelope, but it turns out from the July minutes that the DoI were the ones that wanted it:

image.png.61344707774efd5088e9318f3b6c3ba0.png

At least this solves the problems of what the contractor managed to bill 12,000 hours for. despite the absence of much visible presence.  They were all designing the stamps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

So, it's a standard and not a rule. Where is the standard referenced from or is it good practice?

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

So, it's a standard and not a rule. Where is the standard referenced from or is it good practice?

try ignoring these standards and rules on your own property improvements/upgrades and see how quickly the box ticking tossers turn up to force you to follow them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2