Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You appear to be trying to imply that because it's IoM the contractors shouldn't have to comply to accepted UK standards/best practices? They may even be those of the EU as well?

Gas and electricity don't recognise political jurisdictions. They will create mayhem or worse, wherever they get the opportunity, without giving it to them on a plate.

Some might say that what has gone on with Douglas promenade to date has already been of a low enough standard, without letting standards slip further just because we're a rock in the middle of the Irish Sea.

I wasnt implying anything. I was just saying that people shouldn't make statements that are not true. Someone said that they were breaking every rule in the book. Seems there are no rules and in fact no book either.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wasnt implying anything. I was just saying that people shouldn't make statements that are not true. Someone said that they were breaking every rule in the book. Seems there are no rules and in fact no book either.

You need to remember there are a lot of construction and ground work experts on here.

38 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Seems there are no rules and in fact no book either.

Just look at that manx gas PDF. You can argue about the wording 'should' instead of 'must' or whatever, but they are the rules. I'm sure, could I actually be bothered, find the actual legislation. 

For clarity I've never laid a gas main, you need to have some kind of registration to do so, but I've dug the fucking trench for one. By hand.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just look at that manx gas PDF. You can argue about the wording 'should' instead of 'must' or whatever, but they are the rules. I'm sure, could I actually be bothered, find the actual legislation. 

For clarity I've never laid a gas main, you need to have some kind of registration to do so, but I've dug the fucking trench for one. By hand.

well done.  That'll make you an expert then:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

well done.  That'll make you an expert then:rolleyes:

Or certainly have greater knowledge than somebody who has never done it, for instance? :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You don't need to be an expert to work to a well written spec. Which, lets face it, is clearly the fucking issue here.

Is it an issue though?

All we have us a few armchair experts commenting on a photo which they know very little about in fairness.

I'm hoping one of you gets on the blower in the morning to establish if a major breach has been committed.

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Is it an issue though?

All we have us a few armchair experts commenting on a photo which they know very little about in fairness.

I'm hoping one of you gets on the blower in the morning to establish if a major breach has been committed.

It's not about the photo you clown. It's in the minutes. The gas main was too high. 

• Thanks 1