Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I don't have an agenda. Just being realistic. Specifications for minimum depths are a good thing and should be observed at all times when it is reasonably practicable do do so. There are occasions when it is not. An example would be where say there is a large sewer pipe (at 700mm down) and you are going across (perpendicular to) it with a gas main. It would be impracticable to go under the sewer as that could take you down over 1500mm (or more depending on the diameter of the sewer) and this would be prohibitively expensing (Batneek applies) but also it would be unmaintainable. In such a situation the project team may agree to less cover but with extra protection. Not a drop in standards and not a free for all.

This black and white approach is ok, but not in the real world. Yes its a reconstruction but a reconstruction of an existing asset and there will be some subjective decisions to make

Aaaaahhhh just reading that indicates you know far more than your letting on !! You dont work for DOI do you !! Now we all know your agenda !! Which you claim you dont have . 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Can you please provide a link to those regulations.

Thanks

You can look them up . Same as I can . And I'd say minimum requirments is a better phrase . Do you agree that cables lying on gas pipes isnt acceptable ?? Or you think its okay ? When those same pipes are not at the minimum depth .

Edited by Numbnuts

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You can look them up . Same as I can . And I'd say minimum requirments is a better phrase . Do you agree that cables lying on gas pipes isnt acceptable ?? Or you think its okay ? When those same pipes are not at the minimum depth .

Over time, regulations/standards change. The layout might have been OK at the time.

26 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Aaaaahhhh just reading that indicates you know far more than your letting on !! You dont work for DOI do you !! Now we all know your agenda !! Which you claim you dont have . 

I can tell you I don't work for the DOI. I have worked in the construction section for 40 years though (mostly off Island) and I have worked on pipeline (oil and gas) installations! Happy to be retired now :)

I am not excusing or defending the practices on the prom, just being objective about things and correcting those on here who seek to make quotes that are not indeed facts

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I think their only agenda is to show you don't know what you're talking about. 

You don't need to work for Government or the designers or any of the contractors involved in the scheme to be frustrated by the 'knowledge' of a few vociferous lay-men in this thread.

29 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There are plenty of recommendations,, which is a different thing to regulations. There needs to be separation to prevent such as damage when one utility is repaired or replaced and as far as I have seen that is being achieved. I'm not altogether sure what your beef is here.

(I have nothing whatsoever to do with prom works but have worked in construction all my working life)

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

In fairness though one thing they do seem to have is some knowledge.  Which seems to suggest the issues raised by you and others may not be simply black and ehite issues at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Why do they need replacing then?

cos like everything else here it gets done shit 3 times before it is actually useable at greater expense  than doing it correctly in the first place,  but it keeps people in jobs getting paid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kevster said:

Why do they need replacing then?

Well from the pictures they have been put in wrong. I can see why they have done what they have as it will take ages to redo and services that were there already , mainly Electric , have made their mind up for them and easiest option was to do what they have. Coming across all those services in such a short space is any groundworkers nightmare . And bearing in mind the cost implications there must be with a massive overrun on the contract they hoped they would be able to get away with it. If they do redo then it will cost alot of money and time .

2 hours ago, Banker said:

It's been obvious for weeks that this was coming. It still looks like Beirut down there.

Church Road, which is due to re-open in around a month, (mid-November on the MyProm website) will surely be next.

These accumulated delays must surely push back the much-vaunted 1st April target.

Even as we speak Black and Robinson will be cooking up the humble pie which Baker will be eating, next week. 

• Thanks 1