Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Just speaking the truth.  As hard as that may be to accept.

Having spent more time reading posts while in self isolation , I have to say that TDTB talks a lot of sense and TSOS is very easily confused. A different perspective when looking in from the outside. 😦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, majkul said:

By the time they finish the roads (not even God knows when), the newly laid pavements are gonna look so dirty and old, they'll probably have to do them again. But then again, maybe that's the plan, so they can pilfer a few more million pounds. Who knows?

You don't i guess, judging by the above?

17 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Away from the prom it would be nice to know why the newly resurfaced Curragh Road in St Johns is closing for a fortnight for resurfacing.

Replacing the traffic lights on the 4 junctions, they have allowed plenty of time as most of the civils I believe have been done during the past closure.

2 hours ago, Apple said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-regeneration-investment-cant-all-come-from-govt/

It is now part of a 15 years project to revitalise Douglas. Dig deep my friends.

I sympathise with some of his points. There needs to be more pressure to redevelop brownfield sites (and pan-Island too), it's not the full answer but it has its part to play, Lord knows there's enough of them.

They also need to apply pressure to "old money" landlords to bring property up to scratch particularly in appearance where applicable. DBC could do their part here with incentivation via the rates system too.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, Nellie said:

You do realise this is not the final layer of tarmac? They’ll put that on right at the end, at which time those ramps up to the tramlines will disappear, and the drainage will (hopefully) work properly.,

No, I didn't realise that. That's why I raised the question. Thank you for your civil reply, unlike that other sanctimonious twat.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, Numbnuts said:

No.  Theres about 25 mm or so to still go on that part of the road which will enable any water to go into the run off already formed in the kerbs . Hence why water is gathered  currently . It should be fine when they finish the surface level. But I'm not 100% sure they have got levels right . Time will tell 

Appreciate the informative reply. I didn't know. That's why I asked.

• Confused 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, Non-Believer said:

They also need to apply pressure to "old money" landlords to bring property up to scratch particularly in appearance where applicable. DBC could do their part here with incentivation via the rates system too.

Yes but the old money landlords will fight tooth and nail not to let that happen. I feel sorry for the younger generation.

• Like 1