Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 hours ago, NoTail said:

When I spend over £20m on a bit of roadworking I would expect my manhole covers to at least look in line. Is there some technical reason that this has to look so naff?

20201017_112644.thumb.jpg.65abc500511fdf2d9cd4181fb6ed0bcc.jpg

They cut the infill slabs to line up properly,   you are probably criticising the best bit of work on the prom at the moment.   😁

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, NoTail said:

When I spend over £20m on a bit of roadworking I would expect my manhole covers to at least look in line. Is there some technical reason that this has to look so naff?

20201017_112644.thumb.jpg.65abc500511fdf2d9cd4181fb6ed0bcc.jpg

Actually the manhole covers are in line, if you look at the road.  It's the rest of the paving that is at an angle - no doubt for some artistic reason that made it look pretty on the plans.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

Manx Radios' new site has a photo accompanying the Empress drive delay.

It's of a City somewhere looking really nice, sunny, clean and lovely.

Wish I lived there rather than Douglas!!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/empress-drive-reopening-delayed-to-monday/

It actually is Douglas taken from an unusual angle.

41 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I can imagine the positioning of the new light columns will upset many with prams and wheel chairs etc. The new ones are  up the hill are in the dead centre of the pavement.

20201018_101240.thumb.jpg.2ac5da9fdd7f62c114af0462b20dc245.jpg

Just gone past there on the bus. That photo doesn't do the stupidity of it justice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

I can imagine the positioning of the new light columns will upset many with prams and wheel chairs etc. The new ones are  up the hill are in the dead centre of the pavement.

20201018_101240.thumb.jpg.2ac5da9fdd7f62c114af0462b20dc245.jpg

I would put money on Longworth being behind this.

Mate of mine says the buses are forever knocking their wing mirrors off on lamp posts that are positioned like the one in the picture a bit further down the road.

We are supposed to be making the island accessible for all. Okay its about 40 years behind any decent society but at least we now have laws

This quite clearly does not allow the safe passage of wheelchairs, never mind problems for partially sighted and should be removed ASAP

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Mate of mine says the buses are forever knocking their wing mirrors off on lamp posts that are positioned like the one in the picture a bit further down the road.

We are supposed to be making the island accessible for all. Okay its about 40 years behind any decent society but at least we now have laws

This quite clearly does not allow the safe passage of wheelchairs, never mind problems for partially sighted and should be removed ASAP

Or it could be that this isnt the final position within the total pavement? Perhaps the pavement will be extended out slightly.

To be fair it's a reasonable sized pavement.  Have you been up there in a wheelchair to check?

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

There has to be a minimum of 450mm clearance from the perpendicular of the kerb edge to the furthest extruding part of any street furniture whilst maintaining a 1.2m clearance on the footway between the kerb and and obstacle so as to allow prams, wheelchairs etc.