Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

My wife walks that part regularly and says the spot for that lamp post was marked out weeks ago. would have thought the installers might have questioned it though.

Just been on Manx Radio that DBC gave confirmed it was a DOI contractor error, again!

It will be rectified soon at no expense to taxpayers 

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My reliable source tells me that Auldyn have asked for a disclaimer from DOI  with regards these services as they dont consider them safe . If true and I'm sure it is I dont blame them .

IMG_0994.JPG

Surely there are strict rules and regs about how these should be laid ? I know nothing about it but it looks a dogs breakfast at best !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My reliable source tells me that Auldyn have asked for a disclaimer from DOI  with regards these services as they dont consider them safe . If true and I'm sure it is I dont blame them .

IMG_0994.JPG

I can see power cables laid over the top of a gas main. Aren't power cables supposed to be the lowest of the services for safety in the event of any future excavation work?

• Thanks 1

Douglas Corpy Councillor John Skinner says that the ratepayers won’t pay for the lamppost on Douglas Promenade to be removed and resited in a position which won’t cause harm. From the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece- 

Douglas Council insists a lighting column in the middle of a narrow pavement on the promenade is being replaced.

The pole, which was installed on King Edward Road, was criticised for reducing access for wheelchair users and parents with pushchairs.

A statement issued by the local authority said it was an "error on the part of the Department of Infrastructure's groundworks contractor".

Councillor John Skinner says it will be replaced with no cost to the ratepayer:

Of course .............. except many of the ratepayers are also taxpayers. Therefore I’m paying yet again for Government incompetence and DOI useless labour, technical and management staff - preceded over by an even worse than Harmer, Minister the third rate Timba. Maybe it would be third time lucky if the Ministerial role was given to Cregeen. A couldn’t make any worse job of things? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

IMG_0994.JPG

Not sure why Auldyn / Colas or whoever are even involved. Manx Forums expert team should have been given the contract. Could have been completed in a year at most and only cost about £50,000. What a waste letting construction companies do the job.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Could 'Culpable Negligence' be applied to the actual workers who do not question the site drawings, perhaps for malicious reasons, on the placing of obvious errors???

It happens quite a few times, workers do something even tho they know it looks wrong just to give 'those smart asses in the planning office' an embarrassing u-turn???

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Could 'Culpable Negligence' be applied to the actual workers who do not question the site drawings, perhaps for malicious reasons, on the placing of obvious errors???

Try questioning an architect. 

"Are you absolutely sure this is correct?" doesn't go down well.

• Like 2