Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The tram/road crossing seems to have altered from the planning permission granted at Clarence Terrace/ The Esplanade.

The published plans show it as a single tram track crossing the southbound carriageway from the centre of the road to the side. What is actually being put in is a double track crossing. Not found any mention of this in any of the minutes or on the planning website.

A different rail section is being used as well, the crossing rails are a deeper section than used on the rest of the promenade so far.

If you were looking at the plans, a screen shot would have been handy.

I can't see the rail section being of any concern. 

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

If you were looking at the plans, a screen shot would have been handy.

I can't see the rail section being of any concern. 

Depends on how the different rail is joined, Step plates between the two tend to require maintenance. That is currently how they are joined but they may be getting welded when the Doncaster 5 are free if that's what they were over for

GA 4 P105 - 1800003B General Arrangement 4 of 4 P105 pdf.jpg

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Yep, looks like the perfect excuse: unprecedented poor weather.

I can hear Tim "not nice but dim" Baker reeling that excuse out already. After the contractor has fed it to him of course.

Tim is throwing rocks into the DOI millpond.

According to P6 of the Courier today he's querying the inclusion of the heritage railways into the Island's core transport infrastructure and regards them as a tourist attraction rather than true transport infrastructure and intends to discuss with Laurence Skelly the possibility of off-loading them to DfE as a part of the tourism infrastructure.

This flies in the face of what Nick Black told Tynwald in June about potential for incorporating a light system running from Farmhill to Birch Hill as a commuter system integrated with the heritage rail.

I bet Laurence is delighted at the prospect of having to manage IL and having the railways chewing on his departmental budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Headlines today.....bonus payments.....wtf......they should be getting penalised for the delays and cock ups....three different contractors....not pulling together apparently.....

Bonus = hush money maybe?

It was only a headline and half a story but apparently Auldwyn :ph34r: or others were getting offered nearly half a million to get it done by Easter, not sure which one, but I always thought firms got penalised for being late in delivering not bribed to deliver.  Please put me right on this, as I am sure you will, but is sounds a bit back to front to me.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It was only a headline and half a story but apparently Auldwyn :ph34r: or others were getting offered nearly half a million to get it done by Easter, not sure which one, but I always thought firms got penalised for being late in delivering not bribed to deliver.  Please put me right on this, as I am sure you will, but is sounds a bit back to front to me.

The way these contracts work, the contractor generally always makes money. They may make even more with bonuses and not as much with penalties but because they are cost reimbursible, they generally make more when there are problems, reworking and delays. Having worked for a big contractor they would often under bid to get work with a clear strategy to make on extras ( variations) knowing there is a high chance they'll get them.

• Like 1

Contractors are there to do, er, the work they are contracted to do. If that work hasn't been planned or a scheme of works prepared and made known and agreed, it's not the contractor's fault.

Reading of available minutes (plus other information coming into the public domain one way or another) appears to indicate that this has been the situation from day one. Plus of course the number of complete unknowns that were always going to be encountered during such a project. As to whether enough allowance or anticipation of those unknowns is also another question.

Either way, the job needs to be done to an acceptable standard, albeit the timeframe has already slipped over a cliff. The best way of doing that now is financial incentive.

Which may also be a tacit admission of the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The way these contracts work, the contractor generally always makes money. They may make even more with bonuses and not as much with penalties but because they are cost reimbursible, they generally make more when there are problems, reworking and delays. Having worked for a big contractor they would often under bid to get work with a clear strategy to make on extras ( variations) knowing there is a high chance they'll get them.

Pretty sure this is an NEC main option B contract from the information available, so not a cost reimbursement contract. There will have been bills of quantities and usually on the island, variations for like work are valued at bill rates. 

I haven't seen the news regarding bonuses for finishing on the revised completion date but these are usually offered when the cost of the overrun is greater then the cost of acceleration. 

All of it is supposition anyway, as I'm pretty sure none of us here know what the specific contract terms are. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:00 PM, Feelslike said:

Pretty sure this is an NEC main option B contract from the information available, so not a cost reimbursement contract. There will have been bills of quantities and usually on the island, variations for like work are valued at bill rates. 

I haven't seen the news regarding bonuses for finishing on the revised completion date but these are usually offered when the cost of the overrun is greater then the cost of acceleration. 

All of it is supposition anyway, as I'm pretty sure none of us here know what the specific contract terms are. 

Do the DOI know or understand the specific contract terms? it would appear not.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, hissingsid said:

Headlines today.....bonus payments.....wtf......they should be getting penalised for the delays and cock ups....three different contractors....not pulling together apparently.....

This is the article in question.

There is apparently a "new" completion date of 31 March. What are the chances of that being met, even if we have unseasonal sunshine and calm weather for the next few months?