Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

• 6 months later...

Manx Radio: First tram lines laid on Douglas prom . Compete with Howard Quayle doing a bit of "hoping" it will all be ok come 2020.

I do wonder if the Promenade was in such a terrible condition in the first place. Looking at the excavations it doesn't appear so bad. 

But anyway, I wonder if this is going to be another Richmond Hill / Peel Road style cock-up. 

I always get the feeling these days that the contractors are just taking the piss and the civil servants and government employees who are supposed to be responsible for overseeing the work are just spending their time on the internet working out holidays to spend all their retirement  big wedge on.

They'll be well away before any likely shit hits the fan. 

If all goes well and God willing, I am prepared to offer my sincere apologies for my cynicism if this scheme turns out to be hunky dory and the Douglas Promenade project turns out to be super dooper.

47 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: First tram lines laid on Douglas prom . Compete with Howard Quayle doing a bit of "hoping" it will all be ok come 2020.

I do wonder if the Promenade was in such a terrible condition in the first place. Looking at the excavations it doesn't appear so bad. 

But anyway, I wonder if this is going to be another Richmond Hill / Peel Road style cock-up. 

I always get the feeling these days that the contractors are just taking the piss and the civil servants and government employees who are supposed to be responsible for overseeing the work are just spending their time on the internet working out holidays to spend all their retirement  big wedge on.

They'll be well away before any likely shit hits the fan. 

If all goes well and God willing, I am prepared to offer my sincere apologies for my cynicism if this scheme turns out to be hunky dory and the Douglas Promenade project turns out to be super dooper.

Year's of talk about knackered foundation's and deep excavations yet they're barely scraping any deeper than the black stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walked past some of it this morning. They certainly don't seem to be going very deep, not yet anyway.

And after all the previous doom and gloom from DOI about the foundations were being undermined and washed away as well. Maybe now turning out to be less of a major reconstruction project and more of a beautifying job. AKA "shallow". Chinese granite, Ahoy.

Still, they've got £22M+ to burn on it now. Highways design engineer now being advertised for in today's Courier too....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Walked past some of it this morning. They certainly don't seem to be going very deep, not yet anyway.

And after all the previous doom and gloom from DOI about the foundations were being undermined and washed away as well. Maybe now turning out to be less of a major reconstruction project and more of a beautifying job. AKA "shallow". Chinese granite, Ahoy.

Still, they've got £22M+ to burn on it now. Highways design engineer now being advertised for in today's Courier too....

the bright spark that did the prom  design  fucked off as soon as the first bit of tarmac was lifted ,  don't be around when the snake oil is tried.

• Like 1

Work going to stop in time for the TT, whilst the nagtrams will be running in a month with limited service. Does this mean a quick fix to allow the feckin things to run then dig it all up again to do it properly(ish)

20 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Work going to stop in time for the TT, whilst the nagtrams will be running in a month with limited service. Does this mean a quick fix to allow the feckin things to run then dig it all up again to do it properly(ish)

Apparently yes. The works will be done twice. Once to temporarily accommodate the trams for this summer for a load of pensioners to ride on, then coming back up to be done properly. Apparently they haven’t told all the traders they’ve already pissed off about round 2 yet. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Apparently yes. The works will be done twice. Once to temporarily accommodate the trams for this summer for a load of pensioners to ride on, then coming back up to be done properly. Apparently they haven’t told all the traders they’ve already pissed off about round 2 yet. 

that total fuckwit Harmer on ITV news tonight gloating about the bloody trams and how the work on the prom will bring us all together... how much longer have we got these spunktrumpets for?

The thread title needs to include Richmond Hill.

I listen to Manx Radio occasionally and on a Sunday morning there is Phil Gawne ex MHK and former Minister to do with stuff concerning roads and that. The Minister is ultimately responsible, that is why they are a Minister. They are not there to smile and have their backs slapped by colleagues, civil servants and well paid contractors and consultants. Or are they? This is the Isle of Man. A classic case of not giving a damn about the people who put them there. It is all about the cosyness of being an MHK.

I shall start a poem:

Every time someone mentions Richmond Hill, I think of that smiling MHK called Phil.

Edited by gettafa