Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

From the levels this looks like the final surface that the DOI are putting in on the pavement just north of the Palace.

Not exactly a top quality finish, two completely different shades.

prom.jpg

Thats not acceptable in any shape or form. If this was your drive would you accept it ?? 

• Like 3

On 11/13/2020 at 1:35 PM, NoTail said:

looking at the fancy new pedestrian crossing today. The strange idea of having the curb stones too high at the sides seems like an invitation to sue the government when people with impaired vision trip over.

20201113_112950.jpg.12913e26d2ca1d9ef1059e363d52ff65.jpg

It is very strange as the raised kerb is not the same distance from the edge of the crossing on any of the 4 corners. The crossing at Howard St looks as though its going to be the same. I cannot fathom out what they are trying to achieve but to the casual observer it just looks plain daft and  potentially dangerous.

Had a drive along the promenade today and a thought struck me, apart from what a piece of shite this is going to look like when they eventually finish it. These are my own musings  and have no basis in fact what's so ever. The thing that struck me was due to one mans ego and desire to leave a legacy on the island, The prom is at least three years behind schedule and close to three times over budget. So from now on I will no longer be referring to it as the promenade, and hence forth will be Longworth's folly. Hopefully people will join me in its use and it will go down in Manx folklore, and 20/30 years down the line when a public house quiz master asks why was the promenade known as Longworth's folly. You will be able to furnish him with the correct answer, It was down to that knob Dirty Buggane. And hopefully that will be my legacy.

Only an utter fool or someone who has a massively inflated opinion of themself would even think of another civil engineering project whilst the Promenade is in such a mess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

These are my own musings  and have no basis in fact what's so ever.

I'm sorry, but you are a little misled - your musings are entirely factual.

Not only is the MER extension a significant part of the problem, but the people responsible for it are - at the very height of this monumental screw-up - suggesting that the railway could be extended to Birch Hill and Farmhill.

• Like 1