Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

30 minutes ago, quilp said:

Was doing some maintenance on the outside lighting early one morning, in that car park, and watched as half a dozen people parked their cars and went to the bus stop. They were just the ones I'd spotted.

I reported it but nothing was actioned. 

I've heard that but how big a problem is that really? I wonder who can even be bothered.  Who drives in then gets the bus? You might as well get the bus.

I suspect the problem is largely down to staff.  Do they park in the overflow first? That is what should happen.  

Also has there ever been enough parking there really?

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone been upto hospital recently? The parking situation is a nightmare, there’s cars left everywhere, on pavement outside entrance, in the spaces reserved for patients transfer, the car park is the same, cars parked on the junction etc all day. 
I have been visiting regularly and today had to park down by vagabond clubhouse.

When you go at weekends it’s quiet so what’s going on? Traffic wardens and disc parking required urgently 

People from across the island park there and get the bus into Douglas for work. Cheaper than paying for day parking. The same is seen at the business park, by the Cat With No Tail, Shoprite and many more places

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I've heard that but how big a problem is that really? I wonder who can even be bothered.  Who drives in then gets the bus? You might as well get the bus.

If I get the bus to work it takes an hour. If I drive, I can do in in twenty minutes

36 minutes ago, kevster said:

People from across the island park there and get the bus into Douglas for work. Cheaper than paying for day parking. The same is seen at the business park, by the Cat With No Tail, Shoprite and many more places

That’s why we need parking controllers at hospital, it’s ridiculous trying to get a park between 8.15 to 6 for genuine reason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Was doing some maintenance on the outside lighting early one morning, in that car park, and watched as half a dozen people parked their cars and went to the bus stop. They were just the ones I'd spotted.

I reported it but nothing was actioned. 

That is exactly it quilp. The same happens in Tesco car park

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Or maybe come up with an actual park and ride car park. A free one. Once its built there's little to no running costs. 

The clowns in DoI tried this remember. They put the car park near enough in the centre of feckin Douglas and wondered why there were still problems

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

That’s why we need parking controllers at hospital, it’s ridiculous trying to get a park between 8.15 to 6 for genuine reason 

I know someone who tried for years to get the parking sorted and controlled, but was thwarted at every move. Idiotic top tier.

5 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

have to agree the finish is not particularly good given the amount of time it has taken. Seemed to be a last minute rush to get it open.  It lacks a sharpness, particularly the central pink concrete line, and the crossing points looked like they need a good clean and spruce up when they first opened the roadway.  

I walked the length of the Prom and back today, and my impression of the bits that are virtually finished is similar.

The pedestrian crossings are an accident waiting the happen. They are already dirty, and just look grey, and blend in with the road. The one on Church Road is especially dangerous, as it wasn't there before, and motorists may not be expecting to have to stop. And that's before we mention the lack of zig-zags, which may, or may not, be illegal.

On Loch Prom, there is far too much black tarmac. The seaside footpath just blends in with the road. On the 'artist's impressions' there were more shades of grey, and clearer separations. 

I have no idea what the pedestrian crossings without the stripes are for? Who has priority? How are we supposed to use them? I know that there is talk of 'shared space', but what does that actually mean, and what is being done to educate both motorists and pedestrians how to use it?

I agree that the red concrete already looks tired and faded, and apart from breaking up the mass of black, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

No effort has been made to tidy up, so there are little piles of sand everywhere, which hand accumulated around the Heras fencing bases, and haven't even been brushed away. 

Around the Villa, they'e reused hundreds of old paving slabs, alongside new ones, which looks tatty.

I know that these are mostly aesthetic matters, but we've been sold the idea that this would look light, bright, modern, attractive etc. but it really doesn't deliver.

I guess that when it is properly finished and they get street furniture, signage etc. in and clean everything up, but so far, its rather underwhelming. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What, drive then get the bus?

But they do. In their droves. Sad bastards taking parking away from patients and visitors. The law was meant to change to prohibit this , but hasn’t moved an inch. I know someone who had this sorted and at very little cost. Never taken up. They would rather pay £90,000 to several people to do nothing sitting at desks than pay £20,000 for a parking controller to address the issue.

• Like 1