Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

On 12/5/2020 at 8:49 AM, Non-Believer said:

Whilst Tim Baker is bending over backwards to make excuses for his new Dept's performance with the promenade, he is elected by them good people up north; he may be otherwise working miracles for his constituents who may accordingly see fit to vote him back in.

And therein lies a massive and recurring problem. Individuals are elected to Keys by tiny numbers of people from tiny geographic areas and are then elevated by the (unelected) leader of the (unknown to the electorate) government to national responsibilities that they will never have the remotest level of ability to properly address.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

And therein lies a massive and recurring problem. Individuals are elected to Keys by tiny numbers of people from tiny geographic areas and are then elevated by the (unelected) leader of the (unknown to the electorate) government to national responsibilities that they will never have the remotest level of ability to properly address.

And when the CEO and management haven't a clue either we have a problem Houston ! Mind boggling ineptitude really . 

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And when the CEO and management haven't a clue either we have a problem Houston ! Mind boggling ineptitude really . 

None of these people are stupid. They have a certain amount of self-analysis to wonder 'how the hell have I got into this position?'

They only have to look at their big paycheck to banish all self-doubt and convince themselves that they must surely indeed be worth it.

Just walking along and nearly stepped down this uncovered hole!

20201217_115428.thumb.jpg.7c77e340325cb7422775e1320ea120e7.jpg

I have put a nearby cone over it

20201217_115439.thumb.jpg.bf48e61e9ea10b73b4f468c0d22f56e0.jpg

There were no workmen anywhere near so I thought it best to post on here. I am sure that those who are in charge watch this forum so they will be able to sort out ASAP. 

Reminds me when they were building St Georges Court and someone covered over a lift shaft with a piece of 8' x 4' board.

Next day someone came in and not knowing what it was doing there lifted it by one edge and slid it out of the way, and promptly dropped down the lift shaft. It was only the reinforcing bars sticking out from the shaft and which he bounced against that saved him.

Tore him to shreds and although a bit of a raspberry he lived to tell the tale. 

12 minutes ago, NoTail said:

This may well be the only traffic cone on the Isle of Man that doesn't have a big Watling Street sticker on it.

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

One of the main issues IMO was the initial grandiose intent of the project.

Would have been much better to fix up bits of it in stages. With a minimum standard as a realistic aim. It never needed to be some kind of showcase.

Lots of us said the very same thing when Minister Gawne first rolled out the plans. A dysfunctional project presided over by a dysfunctional Government Department and executive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

There were no workmen anywhere near so I thought it best to post on here. I am sure that those who are in charge watch this forum so they will be able to sort out ASAP. 

Now they won't be able to locate the hole and we'll have another excuse for a delay

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

Drainage is up to the usual high standards, I see