Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Was only a matter of time.

One bloke injured and several vehicles damage driving along the walkway at high tide.  Civil.defencw and fire guys did a great job in pretty dangerous conditions 

(Personally I think anyone driving along there today is nuts, but sure it will be th dois fault)

Agree but it should clearly have been closed much earlier . I had to go to Onchan but was no way I would risk the prom but its fair to assume lots rely on authorities to make the judgement .

23 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Agree but it should clearly have been closed much earlier . I had to go to Onchan but was no way I would risk the prom but its fair to assume lots rely on authorities to make the judgement .

this is the problem when you have a population that requires somebody else to think for them. The planet is feckin doomed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's winter, a full moon, and awful weather forecast, and there are still people parking 5 metres from the sea in areas known to get wet.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

But thats not what happened . They weren't parking they were travelling along the prom as thats where the roadway is now due to Prom works  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

But thats not what happened . They weren't parking they were travelling along the prom as thats where the roadway is now due to Prom works  

Oh that's the road? It's been a while since I've been to Douglas. Still, people need to think a bit harder though don't they? I'm not gonna drive along Gansey at high tide in this weather if I need to go to Port Erin, I'll go the Colby way cos i don't want a stone through my windscreen. People are utterly stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

End of the day the road was open. Possibly a case of driving along there slowly and when you're half way along the Loch Prom walkway it would be a big "oh shit" moment when the waves came crashing down. 

There's also nowhere you can turn off there at the moment due to the road layout. I can see how someone could easily get into bother there in those circumstances.

• Like 2

I would definitely blame the DoI for not closing the road earlier.

I drove along there at high tide a few days before Christmas, when there was not so much wind. Once you get past Broadway, there is nowhere that you can get off the roadway or turn to go back, and it is only when you are half way to the Sea Terminal that you realise that the sea is flooding the road. You have to continue driving through varying depths of salt water, depending on the state of the waves. I learnt from that to avoid high tide, but does everybody have to learn the hard way?

Letting people drive along there yesterday in those conditions was at best foolhardy.

• Like 2