Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

23 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I would definitely blame the DoI for not closing the road earlier.

I drove along there at high tide a few days before Christmas, when there was not so much wind. Once you get past Broadway, there is nowhere that you can get off the roadway or turn to go back, and it is only when you are half way to the Sea Terminal that you realise that the sea is flooding the road. You have to continue driving through varying depths of salt water, depending on the state of the waves. I learnt from that to avoid high tide, but does everybody have to learn the hard way?

Letting people drive along there yesterday in those conditions was at best foolhardy.

I don't think it is up to the DoI to manage people's stupidity.

You would have to be Stevie Wonder not to see how awful it was down there yesterday.  That's before you navigate the plethora of available online news and weather articles.

As you approach the prom yesterday it was quite clear how bad it was.  There's not a single reason to be driving that way yesterday.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I would definitely blame the DoI for not closing the road earlier.

I drove along there at high tide a few days before Christmas, when there was not so much wind. Once you get past Broadway, there is nowhere that you can get off the roadway or turn to go back, and it is only when you are half way to the Sea Terminal that you realise that the sea is flooding the road. You have to continue driving through varying depths of salt water, depending on the state of the waves. I learnt from that to avoid high tide, but does everybody have to learn the hard way?

Letting people drive along there yesterday in those conditions was at best foolhardy.

Nope sorry. What has happened to personal responsibility?

You would have had to have been monumentally stupid to  drive down from Onchan or even along queens prom yesterday and not figure out it wasn't a good idea to go along the prom.

Given the weather warnings, the cancelled boats , the wind direction and the fact that stuff was blowing everywhere noone should have been heading anywhere near anyway.

It seems the guy injured was there to close it.  He shouldn't have had to be, people shouldn't need telling not to use a road.  They can't close every road every time it floods or gets icy, people need to use their own brains.  We get the same bollocks everytime its icy with people blaming the doi because they can't drive.

Ten years from now they will probably need to man every coastal footpath and break water as well when it's blowing a hoolie to advise people to stay off them.

• Like 2

For years now, the Prom in the area of Port Jack has been closed around high tide whenever there has been a bit of overtopping likely. What is the difference between that bit of road and the area around the sunken gardens?

As I said before, you can't actually see how bad it is along there before you've entered the section.

And yes, people do tend to be monumentally stupid nowadays, which is why the authorities need to be a bit more proactive.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

For years now, the Prom in the area of Port Jack has been closed around high tide whenever there has been a bit of overtopping likely. What is the difference between that bit of road and the area around the sunken gardens?

As I said before, you can't actually see how bad it is along there before you've entered the section.

And yes, people do tend to be monumentally stupid nowadays, which is why the authorities need to be a bit more proactive.

that's some feckin overtopping if they have to close Port Jack. The rest of Douglas must be underwater...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Somebody probably forgot that traffic is currently driving on the walkway along Loch Prom and not on the road!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

Honest question. Do some of you actually check the tide forecast  before going for a drive into Douglas? 

I saw a few comments online yesterday about how "it wasn't even high tide"

People don't seem to realise that hight tides aren't all the same. And that an hour away from high tide one day can be higher than an hour before high tide on another.

Like the woman on Douglas beach recently complaining to me that someone had told her it was a good place to exercise her dog as there was lots of open sand.  She was there about 15 minute after high tide complaining it was stoney 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Honest question. Do some of you actually check the tide forecast  before going for a drive into Douglas? 

You could see how bad it was from the bottom of Summerhill. You don't need to be a meteorologist to spot that bad weather

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Have I just logged into bloody Facebook?

The walkway is the only southern route along the prom.

The road wasn't closed. It should have been but it wasn't.

People were driving along the road. 

Someone got injured, they got rescued.

Today the road is shut.

Considering the mountain road is closed as soon as the first snowflake is seen then the DOI brains trust should have closed this.

• Thanks 1

But they made sure today shut it three hours before high water and till three hours after,  not a fucking drop overtopping . How the fuck do these people get to be incharge. Is it a case I cannot employ anybody smarter than me, incase they show me up for the prick I am. Then he retires and the fuckwit he hired moves up into his job, who in turn says I cannot employ anybody who is smarter than me , incase they show me up for the prick I am. Ad infinitum 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

But they made sure today shut it three hours before high water and till three hours after,  not a fucking drop overtopping . How the fuck do these people get to be incharge. Is it a case I cannot employ anybody smarter than me, incase they show me up for the prick I am. Then he retires and the fuckwit he hired moves up into his job, who in turn says I cannot employ anybody who is smarter than me , incase they show me up for the prick I am. Ad infinitum 

Are incharge and incase words?