Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

What is going on with the tramlines??

Months were spent laying lines at bottom of Broadway to the bit where the curve is. They were nearly ready to join. Now they have been ripped up and it looks like the intention is to just forget the whole thing. Anyone here know what is going on? It must cost 1000s to undo what has just been done, I  suppose that is not considered important though.

20210205_154112.jpg.fc7deed12e886ad001dc133ba56939d4.jpg20210205_154117.jpg.a652d5fa5bb72fe4591a14502200c5aa.jpg

You've hit a nail on the head. I've been told Baker is bringing this back to February/March Tynwald and Comin bloc will be voting to end the tram lines at Castle Mona Avenue 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:02 PM, Neil Down said:

The way it is strapped to the building, how do you think it would topple on a ram...🥱

Its not strapped well though, it has a strap that is attached to a flimsy bit of plywood by means of screws driven through a bit of 2 x1 baton.

That is not a good fixing, either the screws pull out or more likely the baton splits in half from the screws being driven through it and the whole thing topples on a pram or, as you seem more concerned about, sheep.

Edited by Boris Johnson

12 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

You've hit a nail on the head. I've been told Baker is bringing this back to February/March Tynwald and Comin bloc will be voting to end the tram lines at Castle Mona Avenue 

At the end of last year I sent an email to Baker giving him my view of the problems of running the horse trams through a pedestrian area in the southern end of the prom. - i.e. it is a new installation so grandfather rights do not apply, and the horse trams do not meet current safety regulations. It was just my opinion, but I pointed out that if a child went under a tram, it would be likely that a limb would be severed, rather than just broken bones.

Whether or not my email had any influence on Baker's decisions I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

At the end of last year I sent an email to Baker giving him my view of the problems of running the horse trams through a pedestrian area in the southern end of the prom. - i.e. it is a new installation so grandfather rights do not apply, and the horse trams do not meet current safety regulations. It was just my opinion, but I pointed out that if a child went under a tram, it would be likely that a limb would be severed, rather than just broken bones.

Whether or not my email had any influence on Baker's decisions I have no idea.

Hopefully it did. There is history precedence for this. At least one child was killed in Victorian times by a horse tram. 

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

Hopefully it did. There is history precedence for this. At least one child was killed in Victorian times by a horse tram. 

There is also a good chance of children or adults for that matter being mown down on the crossings too.

Is the prom a cunning plan to keep the hospital busy while we dont have the TT?

25 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Wasnt that bit ripped up not as plans so maybe they have been pulled about it . Wasn't Nick Black questioned about it !??  

IIRC, Nick Black claimed to be in the dark about it, didn't he? Must be a link on here a couple of pages back?

I see from P12 of tonight's Courier that there's now controversy over the Kirk Michael improvements, to which Derek Flint has now contributed. Plans apparently for non-regulation, red and white zebra crossings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IIRC, Nick Black claimed to be in the dark about it, didn't he? Must be a link on here a couple of pages back?

I see from P12 of tonight's Courier that there's now controversy over the Kirk Michael improvements, to which Derek Flint has now contributed. Plans apparently for non-regulation, red and white zebra crossings.

There was the Paul Moulton interview in which he asked Tim Baker why the concrete was being dug up. Dim Tim said it wasn't to which Paul overlayed footage of said concrete being dug up. 

As for non-standard crossings and the DOI. There is a lot I could say but probably shouldn't 

28 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

There was the Paul Moulton interview in which he asked Tim Baker why the concrete was being dug up. Dim Tim said it wasn't to which Paul overlayed footage of said concrete being dug up. 

As for non-standard crossings and the DOI. There is a lot I could say but probably shouldn't 

Your right but that was in reference to the rails/ concrete over by Summerhill . Interview was taking place as they were actually ripping it up dohhh couldnt make it up ! Actually you can as its the DOI ! 

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

So that also gets them out of the embrassment of failing to put in estimates the Traffic lights where the track was to go across the road . 1 million ! Offset the costs of concrete and laying of rails and then ripping same up and making good . Planners , Architects , Engineers but mostly DOI are just a total disgrace. Mind blowing incompetance .   

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If they stop the tramlines short there will be a veritable hailstorm of toys from Ian Longworth's pram, surely?

Well, is Longworth interested in horse trams, or is he really interested in electric trams, and diesels etc?

If the horse tram is terminated at the War Memorial it might eventually be thought that it is just not viable.

But there is the designed-in capability (concrete slabs, wider separation of tracks - not to mention that Longworth has already test-driven a diesel on those rails)  of running the MER down that far. My opinion is that is what he is really aiming for.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the crossings will be an issue, they work perfectly well elsewhere. It funnels people to one area to cross and they do so when no traffic is coming. The Zebras are quite visible so present no issue.

The opportunity to put the horse trams on the seaward side all along the prom has been lost and a huge mistake in my humble opinion. The crossing point will be a bit of a bollox but I assume it will be somehow tied into the great Broadway Roundabout scheme? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Its not strapped well though, it has a strap that is attached to a flimsy bit of plywood by means of screws driven through a bit of 2 x1 baton.

That is not a good fixing, either the screws pull out or more likely the baton splits in half from the screws being driven through it and the whole thing topples on a pram or, as you seem more concerned about, sheep.

Lots of ifs buts and maybe’s in that...

That Dick Longworth has cost this island dear with his grandiose schemes and vehicles that are not wanted or needed. What has he got on the hierarchy of this island. Videos/pictures/ portraits of them all in compromising positions with an aardvark. Tables stacked with cash. Under age asparagus parties. Cannot even make him retire now, even if he did they would want back the messiah who can sort out any problems. You just have to look at the cabbage. Medication time🤑