Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

28 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

It is just so unbelievable that this debacle has not only happened but is actually getting worse and worse.

The people in government really have messed up even worse than usual this time and yet they seem totally oblivious to what they have and are doing, (or not doing). 

Many of the public predicted what would happen including the majority on this site and yet we are just powerless to do anything about it. Whatever we do about voting makes no difference, whatever we say on this site, in the media or direct to the MHKs, makes no difference and there are absolutely no sanctions that are or can be used to try and alleviate the mess they have created.

In other words we are royally and utterly shafted.................again.

There is absolutely no accountability whatsoever. 

• Like 5

They haven't started on fixing the cracks on the red concrete yet. Had a look the other day around Queens Prom area and theres far more , as you'd expect , now than when I first noticed them. Whatever they do , unless you rip it all up , you are not going to be able to hide them after filling etc . Also gob smacked at the finish on tarmac outside of Sam Webbs and its a final coat . 

Edited by Numbnuts

22 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

They haven't started on fixing the cracks on the red concrete yet. Had a look the other day around Queens Prom area and theres far more , as you'd expect , now than when I first noticed them. Whatever they do , unless you rip it all up , you are not going to be able to hide them after filling etc . Also gob smacked at the finish on tarmac outside of Sam Webbs and its a final coat . 

Add to that every block paving crossing on Loch Promenade is moving or subsiding, be interesting to see how all these will be repaired at no cost to the taxpayer as the DOI did them.

Blocks seem completely the wrong material for a main road with heavy traffic to me

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Add to that every block paving crossing on Loch Promenade is moving or subsiding, be interesting to see how all these will be repaired at no cost to the taxpayer as the DOI did them.

Blocks seem completely the wrong material for a main road with heavy traffic to me

The blocks should be fine but if not consolidated correctly you can have issues. Be interested to know why the blocks were lifted by Broadway as mentioned above . At the end of the day the Tax payer is stuffed big time on this one . As we all knew before the job started .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

I wonder if any MHK would reply to my comments in a straightforward, honest, no bullshit way. No excuses, no flim flam just downright reality. ie, We were way too ambitious and didn't plan adequately. The works weren't necessary and have not turned out as it appeared in our dream.  The tram's should removed to Ramsey Mooragh/ prom, the road should have been tarmacked, the old lights could have been converted to LED, the beach could have been lowered by the wall, there could be a decent sea wall, parking could have been increased, the prom could have been narrowed with a footpath, bike path and kiosks and/or extra parking and satisfied all needs. Doc Fixit could have slept easy and all the money saved could have been used for all the social needs that are being ignored. We will revert to ordinary buses and proven cheap, ticketing systems. We will sell the cabbage and make money on the deal.hah! The roads will be repaired properley as and when necessary. There will only be building on brown field or existing sites and there will be plenty of first time buyer homes, more than standard homes. We will have a govt. of 8 with 50% fewer CS managers, the gov. will be elected by all island voting. 

............oooh, I've just woken up now, what a strange dream.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

There is absolutely no accountability whatsoever. 

Unfortunately every time I traverse the promenade, I observe maybe 6 or 7 strategically placed work teams, comprising of up to 8 members, all, without exception stood in close quarters, doing absolutely nothing, save for the odd digger driver.  This is truly a work of fiction, and moreover an indictment on the persons that oversee this nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

The blocks should be fine but if not consolidated correctly you can have issues. Be interested to know why the blocks were lifted by Broadway as mentioned above . At the end of the day the Tax payer is stuffed big time on this one . As we all knew before the job started .

We're easily running towards £30m at present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoTail said:

Although I walk along the promenade most days. I have become inured to the whole thing. Yesterday we saw them pulling up the new coloured stones at the bottom of Broadway.  Can't be arsed to even think why. Rails put down, then taken up, light columns (streetlights) put in, taken out, tarmac put down then dug up ....

I think the whole project has become some sort of joke. 

Certainly in keeping with a winter work scheme.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Certainly in keeping with a winter work scheme.

I'd like to see the promenade works just continuing forever. Keeps people employed and could become a 'feature' of the Isle of Man.

I say chuck £300 million at it, keep in going for at least 10 - 20 years and try to claw some of the money back selling promenade souvenir jigsaws, teatowels, baby-grows and the like. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

We're easily running towards £30m at present.

Its over that I'm sure . Alot more !! It has to be . At the latest date , end of July , its overrun by 9 months and while a bit of leeway needed for lockdown they gained over cancelling of TT and FOM etc . Then they still have to come back to it late September with another at least 6 months to be finished. Also the works from what I can work out been reduce , ie tarmac in many places where originally it was to be block/ Granite 

Edited by Numbnuts