Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Certainly in keeping with a winter work scheme.

With all the accounts of subsidence of the block paving etc, it has all the promise of being a year round scheme in remedial work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NoTail said:

Although I walk along the promenade most days. I have become inured to the whole thing. Yesterday we saw them pulling up the new coloured stones at the bottom of Broadway.  Can't be arsed to even think why. Rails put down, then taken up, light columns (streetlights) put in, taken out, tarmac put down then dug up ....

I think the whole project has become some sort of joke. 

An enpensive joke and we are paying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

But the taxpayers will never know for sure unless they put in FOI or similar and are allowed to do a forensic dissection of the costs of the job from top to bottom. And that's assuming no redactions or "commercially confidential" exclusions of course.

It's just fob-off BS designed to appease the many. DOI know full well the costs will never be examined by or made available to the public, the best anybody could hope for would be a PAC investigation and it wouldn't be difficult to predict a "lessons will be learned" verdict from that.

There isn't much else that could be done, the project is under way with huge overruns and no accountability, end of story. The article also states that there's more newly-laid rail going to be ripped up again in May. It's a complete shambles.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Theres alot lot more gone wrong since conception on this job. All the months at the start when nothing seemed to be getting done and they were starting bits all over the place to name one issue . They were never supposed to touch the walkway but its wrecked now so that will be a additional cost needed to factor in . As others have said though we will never know but the costs were said to be 25 million so wait and see , if they ever get it finished . Also the at least 3 different changes to spec on the rails and fixings will have to be funded and cant see how Auldyn is responsible for that . 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

But the taxpayers will never know for sure unless they put in FOI or similar and are allowed to do a forensic dissection of the costs of the job from top to bottom. And that's assuming no redactions or "commercially confidential" exclusions of course.

It's just fob-off BS designed to appease the many. DOI know full well the costs will never be examined by or made available to the public, the best anybody could hope for would be a PAC investigation and it wouldn't be difficult to predict a "lessons will be learned" verdict from that.

There isn't much else that could be done, the project is under way with huge overruns and no accountability, end of story. The article also states that there's more newly-laid rail going to be ripped up again in May. It's a complete shambles.

You don't need forensics. Just ask 

What was the original tendered cost?

What is the new contract cost?

It won't give you the total, only what has been paid to the principle contractor. But that will be the most significant cost by far.

Internal DOI costs will be seperate and possibly hard to quantify.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

They were working away last night at 7 15pm.

Definitely no complaints with the lads working on site. They pitch up early morning and leave late. 

It's the senior clowns in DOI directing the job that I think the issues sit with. I've heard first hand of work starting in the morning then the DOI management pitch up at 12pm with a different set of plans and it all has to stop.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

I'd like to see the promenade works just continuing forever. Keeps people employed and could become a 'feature' of the Isle of Man.

I say chuck £300 million at it, keep in going for at least 10 - 20 years and try to claw some of the money back selling promenade souvenir jigsaws, teatowels, baby-grows and the like. 

Please don't forget us fridge magnet manufacturers,

I just started to put together a package to try and get a £1million funding from DfE.

I work from my garden shed and employ one person part time and will be able to make

at least seven prom fridge magnets a week.

I know that the professional forecast of magnet sales to cruise ship passengers was only five a week.

When we return to normality.

NR = [naMaVa + nbMbVb + ncMcVc + ndMdVd] × [Va+Vb+Vc+Vd]-1.

Unfortunately the formula doesn't take in fact of Visit Isle of Man.

• Haha 2

The promenade will never be finished, because when it is 'finished' they'll have to dig it all up again to fix the problems. It'll be another Richmond Hill. I've worked in the Public Sector and it's a model of paralysis and failure. They bring in a chief executive on a huge salary. He/she assumes complete power and authority over all policy and decision making. They tear up all previous protocols, methods and structures. Their only interests are their own new glory projects involving massive capital expenditure and new ideas. The promenade is an unwanted inheritance; someone else's problem, the previous executives and decision makers, and it's an old problem. There's no 'ownership' of it because everything and everybody has moved on. There's no glory left in the job, it's just a bodge it and fix it job. So jobs never get properly finished, and the important stuff, the everyday stuff, never gets done. Then they bring in a new big chief on big bucks because the last one has retired early on a massive lump sum and pension.

Believe me, this is how it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4