Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The promenade will never be finished, because when it is 'finished' they'll have to dig it all up again to fix the problems. It'll be another Richmond Hill. I've worked in the Public Sector and it's a model of paralysis and failure. They bring in a chief executive on a huge salary. He/she assumes complete power and authority over all policy and decision making. They tear up all previous protocols, methods and structures. Their only interests are their own new glory projects involving massive capital expenditure and new ideas. The promenade is an unwanted inheritance; someone else's problem, the previous executives and decision makers, and it's an old problem. There's no 'ownership' of it because everything and everybody has moved on. There's no glory left in the job, it's just a bodge it and fix it job. So jobs never get properly finished, and the important stuff, the everyday stuff, never gets done. Then they bring in a new big chief on big bucks because the last one has retired early on a massive lump sum and pension.

Believe me, this is how it is.

Your probably right though the CEO has been there along time but clearly is clueless . Lots of areas to dig up and redo just up to now so god knows whats to come over the next year as thats at least how long it will take . Very sad state of affairs but nobody is surprised as we all forcast this would happen. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

The next twenty years will be spent digging it up to repair all the cock ups currently being installed.

In fact I'd wager more problems are being installed than are being corrected!

You could be right . As I said yesterday they havent started on the cracks in the red concrete and there loads of them ! Didnt Andy from Quids Inn say its to be dug up again in front of his place . Be hard to keep up with new works and sub standard work as they have temporary tarmac so many areas .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

The next twenty years will be spent digging it up to repair all the cock ups currently being installed.

In fact I'd wager more problems are being installed than are being corrected!

Yes but we don't need to worry about those terrible voids anymore. We can all sleep soundly at night. 

• Like 1

There will be a cost to taxpayers for the issues with the substandard rails. 

The cost of fuel for cars sat queuing at the temporary traffic lights for the past 4 months while they were installed. 

The cost of the same while they reinstall them at a later date. The disruption while they tear up the concrete in May... 

Not just DOI spending vast sums, MUA  spent £1m just on scaffolding in one year !!!

Manx Utilities has spent just over £1m on scaffolding in five years. Chairman Tim Baker was asked by Julie Edge how much the MUA had spent over the last five years. He said: ‘I can confirm the vast majority of this figure, some £973,566, was spent with Red Scaffolding Limited. Other scaffolding contractors engaged in this period were Absolute Scaffolding Limited (£33,420) and Secure Scaffolding Services Limited (£3,925).’

• Confused 1

PPP=PPP

Piss Poor Planning = Piss Poor Performance.

A blind donkey could see a lot of the problems about to unfold as this project has materialised. The red concrete cracking, the rail intersection etc etc. These things should have been dealt with during the planning phase by those 'experts' in their field who are so highly paid, over the workers on the ground who have more idea!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

PPP=PPP

Piss Poor Planning = Piss Poor Performance.

A blind donkey could see a lot of the problems about to unfold as this project has materialised. The red concrete cracking, the rail intersection etc etc. These things should have been dealt with during the planning phase by those 'experts' in their field who are so highly paid, over the workers on the ground who have more idea!

No chin and a suit trump's a high viz and a hard hat!

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not just DOI spending vast sums, MUA  spent £1m just on scaffolding in one year !!!

Manx Utilities has spent just over £1m on scaffolding in five years. Chairman Tim Baker was asked by Julie Edge how much the MUA had spent over the last five years. He said: ‘I can confirm the vast majority of this figure, some £973,566, was spent with Red Scaffolding Limited. Other scaffolding contractors engaged in this period were Absolute Scaffolding Limited (£33,420) and Secure Scaffolding Services Limited (£3,925).’

Have you seen the power station? Its covered in it. All Red

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Manx Utilities has spent just over £1m on scaffolding in five years. ...

My bold.  I may have said this before, but it would help if you read more and wrote less.  It would also help if you linked to where you got the information - in this case presumably from Gef, where young Mr Turton appears to be trying to introduce news into a news site.  It'll never work.

This was clearly derived from a Keys/Tynwald question and as usual the thing to do is to root around to find the full text.  It turns out to be from this week's Keys from a oral question that didn't get discussed properly.  We get the annual breakdown for the five years and this interesting snippet:

Fully analysing the expenditure by location is not possible within the time available. However, I can advise that the majority of this expenditure has been incurred in respect of electricity generation maintenance activities, principally at Pulrose Power Station. Members may be aware that the nature of the power stations mean that many maintenance activities are required to be undertaken at height and scaffolding is required to ensure the work can be carried out safely for contractors, employees and the general public.

You can't help feeling that they may have bought that scaffolding several times over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

You could be right . As I said yesterday they havent started on the cracks in the red concrete and there loads of them ! Didnt Andy from Quids Inn say its to be dug up again in front of his place . Be hard to keep up with new works and sub standard work as they have temporary tarmac so many areas .

Imagine this was a job (smaller scale obviously) that a wealthy private Joe had engaged people to do on his house, property or land. He'd have chucked them off and be suing the arse off them by now. They'd never work again on the Island.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can't help feeling that they may have bought that scaffolding several times over.

They may have. But the cost includes not just physical rental, but erecting, checking for H&S@W, dismantling, taking to and removing from site, storage, employing the riggers etc. If they didn’t rent in they’d not just have the capital cost of the metal work and boards, but wage costs, training costs, their own H&S costs, storage costs, costs relating to inventory and regular checking of components.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They may have. But the cost includes not just physical rental, but erecting, checking for H&S@W, dismantling, taking to and removing from site, storage, employing the riggers etc. If they didn’t rent in they’d not just have the capital cost of the metal work and boards, but wage costs, training costs, their own H&S costs, storage costs, costs relating to inventory and regular checking of components.

I suppose a similar argument could be made for the hire of all the cones and signage from Watling Streetworks. Their bill must be nudging £500k for the Promenade now, it was £350k a good few months back.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It would be nice if they actually got on with some work since it's erection!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1