Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

41 minutes ago, Zarley said:

So if the scaffolding is crucial to the normal maintenance and problem solving ability to keep the power station running smoothly and without interruption, would it have not made more sense for such a facility to have been built-in to the structure in the first place? 

And is it not too late to obtain planning permission to have a permanent scaffolding structure to be added to the building now? Would that not save tax-payer's money in the long run? 

It seems a rather obvious solution to me. 

Please do not try and judge Government / CS actions by any metric of common sense, you will drive yourself insane !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

So if the scaffolding is crucial to the normal maintenance and problem solving ability to keep the power station running smoothly and without interruption, would it have not made more sense for such a facility to have been built-in to the structure in the first place? 

And is it not too late to obtain planning permission to have a permanent scaffolding structure to be added to the building now? Would that not save tax-payer's money in the long run? 

It seems a rather obvious solution to me. 

Surely scaffolding cannot be essential to long term running of a power station. Whatever the issue is (looks like roof to me) it just needs fixed.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Surely scaffolding cannot be essential to long term running of a power station. Whatever the issue is (looks like roof to me) it just needs fixed.

Then why don't they get on with it and get it fixed so the scaffolding can come down? 

Or is it a design flaw that necessitates frequent access to the upper reaches of the building to ensure the constant running of the plant?

Answers on a postcard, please.

13 hours ago, Two-lane said:

By 2019 they were quoting £18.2 million - no doubt higher by now. It is about £400 per meter, which is about the same as I have seen quoted in the UK press.

I do wonder if that includes all the infrastructure required - receivers, computing systems, new software etc. - plus the inevitable upgrades every few years.

In an interview Allinson (who, as a doctor one would assume to have a bit of common sense) told Moulton that (in reference to the users) "there will be no charge for this. Manx Utilities will be picking up the tab".

It is difficult to know what to think about statements like that.

Of course they didn’t have any budget approved by treasury for this expenditure so it’s been shelved until a full business case prepared & approved 

3 hours ago, Len Trench said:

Some attendees for The Hub were hoping to park on the walkway today.

They have made a lot of Chester Street parking 2 hour disc parking for this purpose and there are several new disabled spaces right outside the hub. 

Edited by Itsmeee

Enlighting insight into workers on the Prom this morning . Many on here have commented on passing workers standing doing nothing while 'working' on the scheme. Have to say while have taken a interest in the actually works etc not really followed workers. Well today was working on a site overlooking a area and watched between doing my task a group of prom workers mainly doing nothing for 2 1/2 hrs . One in a digger which did move but not much , a banksman doing virtual nothing and the star was one guy who managed to move maybe 2 or 3 meters either direction from a spot with his hands firmly emtrenched in his high viz jacket and in all the time did sweet f/a . Literally nothing not even to his credit using his mobile phone.  Mind blowing and having worked on big sites including the museum and the likes we could never be found to be doing nothing . If not bosses , clerk of works or the likes , the lads you worked with would be on your case if you even thought about slacking . If this is an example of the work force then no wonder the scheme is hopelessly out of control and clearly poor standard workmanship . A real eye opener tbh . I had finished and left before end of their lunch break so god knows what he and the others managed to not do in the afternoon .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Enlighting insight into workers on the Prom this morning . Many on here have commented on passing workers standing doing nothing while 'working' on the scheme. Have to say while have taken a interest in the actually works etc not really followed workers. Well today was working on a site overlooking a area and watched between doing my task a group of prom workers mainly doing nothing for 2 1/2 hrs . One in a digger which did move but not much , a banksman doing virtual nothing and the star was one guy who managed to move maybe 2 or 3 meters either direction from a spot with his hands firmly emtrenched in his high viz jacket and in all the time did sweet f/a . Literally nothing not even to his credit using his mobile phone.  Mind blowing and having worked on big sites including the museum and the likes we could never be found to be doing nothing . If not bosses , clerk of works or the likes , the lads you worked with would be on your case if you even thought about slacking . If this is an example of the work force then no wonder the scheme is hopelessly out of control and clearly poor standard workmanship . A real eye opener tbh . I had finished and left before end of their lunch break so god knows what he and the others managed to not do in the afternoon .

I've been saying the same almost since it started!!

19 minutes ago, asitis said:

We may have been in a better position if they hadn't started at all !

Well the argument has always been that we will have a Prom to be proud of when its finished , yes I know what your thinking !. But remember we had to do it as at anytime those nasty voids would swallow up all our vehicles , oh wait , none found up to now . Oh dear so we will be left with a inferior product which will not be finished before the end off 2022 , taking in whats still to be done and the inevitable snagging and re doing so much. Yes it would seem sadly your right .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I recall reading some time ago that a politician was quoted as saying there would be a large number of people working on site every day. Unfortunately I can't recall when, who, or who many.

On the MyProm website there is a drone video of the entire length of the works, taken in December 2020. Up at the Summerhill end there is maybe a dozen people working, but no more than a sprinkling elsewhere.

It is not surprising that it is taking so long.