Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

16 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I recall reading some time ago that a politician was quoted as saying there would be a large number of people working on site every day. Unfortunately I can't recall when, who, or who many.

On the MyProm website there is a drone video of the entire length of the works, taken in December 2020. Up at the Summerhill end there is maybe a dozen people working, but no more than a sprinkling elsewhere.

It is not surprising that it is taking so long.

It was Harmer around the start of the contract. He stated there would be 60 or so working on the prom at any one time .. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

It was Harmer around the start of the contract. He stated there would be 60 or so working on the prom at any one time .. 

Nice hospital pass by Harmer to Baker aided by Howie!! Since which time Harmer has kept his head down to avoid any blame for any of DOI muck ups

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I genuinely believe a big UK contractor like Costains could have the whole job done in 8 weeks. That is assuming proper planning in every way.

Manx Contractors are no worse and no better than Uk contractors when poor planning is in place,

But in general Manx Contractors are leagues above UK contractors and always have been.

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

Manx Contractors are no worse and no better than Uk contractors when poor planning is in place,

But in general Manx Contractors are leagues above UK contractors and always have been.

Example?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

I genuinely believe a big UK contractor like Costains could have the whole job done in 8 weeks. That is assuming proper planning in every way.

Unlikely considering the services that needed to be replaced and the fact that the road needed to remain open for traffic and for access to businesses and for residents

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Example , the UK have implemented reverse VAT for construction,

which has had to be implement here in conjunction.

This is not required in the Isle of Man, but shows what the Large UK construction firms are all about.

It is coming into force on the island, just the same as the UK.

Not on many peoples radar in the industry but the VAT office over here are running seminars about it for those that are interested.

Edited by Boris Johnson

22 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

It is coming into force on the island, just the same as the UK.

Not on many peoples radar in the industry but the VAT office over here are running seminars about it for those that are interested.

I know it is coming into place on the island, that is what I stated,

If it is really needed, is a different matter.

It was suppose to be implemented in October last year, but was delayed due to covid.

Edited by Holte End

11 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I know it is coming into place on the island, that is what I stated,

If it is really needed, is a different matter.

It was suppose to be implemented in October last year, but was delayed due to covid.

I skim read your post and missed the second line, my apologies.

But if you think reverse VAT is being introduced because of big construction firms in the UK you are very wrong.

It is aimed at small time outfits charging VAT but never being registered, lots of that in the UK and I am sure it happens here too.

3 hours ago, NoTail said:

Sorry but your very wrong on this one . Just infrastructure , connect new supply to old on all the buildings along the Prom is a major issue and takes as long as it takes . That hasnt been the problem though as whats not been said is the lack of working drawings for contractors from DOI to enable works to take place . Hence in early days they were jumping all over the place to be seeing to be doing something while DOI got their act together . They had concept plans but no working drawings . Basic requirement !! . 

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

takes as long as it takes .  

Although I agree with your post generally I have to claim my £5 for you being Mr Auldyn, or more likely Minister Tim Baker MHK.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I skim read your post and missed the second line, my apologies.

But if you think reverse VAT is being introduced because of big construction firms in the UK you are very wrong.

It is aimed at small time outfits charging VAT but never being registered, lots of that in the UK and I am sure it happens here too.

I am absolutely positive it doesn't happen here with Manx Construction firms.

It might when UK contractors come here, but then again they pay no tax here anyway.

The Larger manx building contractors on island, I have always found are beyond reproach.

Good pratice on island stops fraud like this.

But then again when working  in the UK your lucky to be paid let alone get your VAT.