Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

£1.2m to finish the horse trams seems to have been kicked down the road for the next house to decide. 

A massive waste if that gets approved, Treasury should demand a water tight business case for it. 

It sounds like Bill Shimmins may have been the one to finally put a stop to the endless money being wasted on them 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

£1.2m to finish the horse trams seems to have been kicked down the road for the next house to decide. 

A massive waste if that gets approved, Treasury should demand a water tight business case for it. 

It sounds like Bill Shimmins may have been the one to finally put a stop to the endless money being wasted on them 

Isn't most of that for whatever signaling they need as they forgot it on the original costings. Yes its true and admitted on myprom's management meetings back last year. Said it would cost about 900k 

Edited by Numbnuts

6 hours ago, NoTail said:

I genuinely believe a big UK contractor like Costains could have the whole job done in 8 weeks. That is assuming proper planning in every way.

Yes if only Auldyn were part of a big UK construction group such as Colas, then I'm sure everything would have gone smoothly.

(Mind you I suppose you could say that Costains are a local Manx company - provided you go back to 1865)

7 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Careful, Gawne will be apoplectic if you touch any heritage at all !!, it's the saviour of the world don't you know !

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Isn't most of that for whatever signaling they need as they forgot it on the original costings. Yes its true and admitted on myprom's management meetings back last year. Said it would cost about 900k 

I think that is part of it. But the fact they just 'forgot' about it is absolutely unforgiveable, that should be criminal negligence with tax payer's money. 

• Thanks 1

The quarries section have in the past couple of years had a lot of money invested in new machinery, but the  supervisor at the foxdale quarry says he can't cope with the amount of excavated material brought into the quarry from the prom so the wagons transport the excavated prom material to the quarry tip it then it is loaded onto another wagon and taken to the tip down south. Unbelievable. 

Baker's latest reasons why...

Making lots of projections about progress,  and the reasons for the delay and how he's dealing with the various contractors on site.

Same blame game. Possible litigation, excusing the inexcusable, considering the costs of past, present and future project-planning, which has more pages than Buckingham Palace. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Will pedestrians in the Banks Circus area please be careful not to trip over Ian Longworth's bottom lip and thrown toys. Thank you.

Screenshot_20210219-100042_Chrome.jpg

It’s what’s been needed for some time & if Alf becomes CM with Bill as Treasury there will be more cuts & budgets reined in 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s what’s been needed for some time & if Alf becomes CM with Bill as Treasury there will be more cuts & budgets reined in 

I've just got hold of an Indy now, I further quote from the article, P3;

"Among capital spending for which there has been no Tynwald vote is the multi-million pound bus replacement programme. Bus Vannin continues to buy replacement buses and minibuses each year without any political debate on the merits of the strategy".

Which speaks volumes as to what's been going on. I wonder how many sales wallahs from Mercedes UK Commercial are weeping into their Earl Grey this morning?

The rest of the article is well worth a read too, a massive overhaul in how projects are funded and how Depts apply for that funding, all long overdue. Capital projects will now be cost assessed and then have Tynwald approval to have the "appropriate amounts moved into the Capital Fund to pay for them".

Perhaps the CCS/ADS could be next for some similar scrutiny though that may be a sacred cow too far at the moment.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've just got hold of an Indy now, I further quote from the article;

"Among capital spending for which there has been no Tynwald vote is the multi-million pound bus replacement programme. Bus Vannin continues to buy replacement buses and minibuses each year without any political debate on the merits of the strategy".

Which speaks volumes as to what's been going on. I wonder how many sales wallahs from Mercedes UK Commercial are weeping into their Earl Grey this morning?

The rest of the article is well worth a read too, a massive overhaul in how projects are funded and how Depts apply for that funding, all long overdue. Capital projects will now be cost assessed and then have Tynwald approval to have the "appropriate amounts moved into the Capital Fund to pay for them".

Perhaps the CCS/ADS could be next for some similar scrutiny though that may be a sacred cow too far at the moment.

Didn’t something similar happen in MUA and all board , CEO & FD were sacked, anything similar for DOI?

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

Didn’t something similar happen in MUA and all board , CEO & FD were sacked, anything similar for DOI?

The Indy Comments seems to think not re. DOI and lists further overspends. I'm fairly sure the MEA Board resigned en bloc when matters became public at the time?