Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

This is a typical government trick. When you are so far behind schedule and over budget with an election looming, remove items from the brief (to be done later) and do some temporary bodge until you can slip in another project with it's own business case 12 motnhs later when the punters have all forgotten. 

No doubt it'll be something like can't get materials/labour or some such. From the images I saw they'll be concentric circles of coloured stone. So are they lane markings? Will they be visible at night or in wet conditons? Or are they a 'feature' which will lead to even more confusion.

Just imagine a world where a decent layer of tarmac on a strong foundation with painted white lines was good enough. I reckon if you come back to this in 10 years the pink concrete'll leperous with temporary patches of tarmac or grey concrete. Paviours will be cracked, shifting or split (look at Parliment St Ramsey) and there'll be a lovely black strip of oil and rubber traversing coloured stones.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

This is a typical government trick. When you are so far behind schedule and over budget with an election looming, remove items from the brief (to be done later) and do some temporary bodge until you can slip in another project with it's own business case 12 motnhs later when the punters have all forgotten. 

No doubt it'll be something like can't get materials/labour or some such. From the images I saw they'll be concentric circles of coloured stone. So are they lane markings? Will they be visible at night or in wet conditons? Or are they a 'feature' which will lead to even more confusion.

Just imagine a world where a decent layer of tarmac on a strong foundation with painted white lines was good enough. I reckon if you come back to this in 10 years the pink concrete'll leperous with temporary patches of tarmac or grey concrete. Paviours will be cracked, shifting or split (look at Parliment St Ramsey) and there'll be a lovely black strip of oil and rubber traversing coloured stones.

HaHa. Probably right but sounds very glass half full. Maybe it will be a thing of great beauty. 

14 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Setting aside the shambles the Prom is - what does an election looming have to do with it?

11 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Setting aside the shambles the Prom is - what does an election looming have to do with it?

Because the great and the good will want to point and say to voters "Despite the adversity of Covid we managed to get the promenade 'finished' but it was tuff. I get things done so vote for me". And of course the 'new' government will play muscial chairs and it'll be 'Look at what we inherited."

I'd be curious to see what professional fees are being paid for this project and if they are getting 'compensated' for a project that is over budget, over time (well before Covid) and shutdown. Also how much help the DoI is giving them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-43754978

£25,000,000.00 for 2,600m of road = £9,600/m

On 3/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, NoTail said:

And all along the foundations were fine. No buses disappeared into a vast hole. A simple resurface would have sorted everything....

Well what a good point. 749 years ago (or so it seems) when the prom works were first mooted, was it not said that the presence of colossal voids in the foundations - especially, I think, on Loch prom - were a prime driver in the need for the works? They never materialized...hmmmmm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Banker said:

How many M are the hubs, they must beat £9600 /m

Hospital wouldn't need much as it is a clinical setting so guessing Chester Street and Airport are about 100 sq.m each so 200 sq.m total would give £373,000 / 200 = £1,800 per sq.m . Not bad, considering it's a few stud partitions, painting, worktops, a few seats and some flooring and lighting. Heating and WC's were already there.

And the estimate is only going to go up once all the bills arrive.

5 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Well what a good point. 749 years ago (or so it seems) when the prom works were first mooted, was it not said that the presence of colossal voids in the foundations - especially, I think, on Loch prom - were a prime driver in the need for the works? They never materialized...hmmmmm.

You are absolutely correct and it was that muppet Harmer who stated the need for works was down to the many voids that anytime could swallow a vehicle. Zero voids found apart from opposite the Villa seaside that was a Victorian toilet .  

• Like 1

I still can’t understand why the promenade works weren’t classed as critical infrastructure so it could continue, only route to most of hotels, main route into/out of Douglas plus numerous businesses & residents there have been suffering for years.

We’re now going to have to wait until the Rumanian pavers come back from U.K., complete isolation etc to get it finished, and if we do get any tourists this year what will they think if this bombsite!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

....it was that muppet Harmer who stated the need for works was down to the many voids that anytime could swallow a vehicle.

And who would have told Mr Harmer that,  because he wouldn't have thought it up for himself....?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And who would have told Mr Harmer that,  because he wouldn't have thought it up for himself....?

Who’s standing against him & Boot in election, only heard crookall so far?

Hopefully a good candidate in Ayre to replace Baker as well