Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

16 hours ago, code99 said:

The word gang comes directly from the term 'work gang' which has echoes of 'slave work gangs'. I personally think that given all the delays/issues with the Prom, his language could have been more sensitive.  

Wrong forum for snowflakes.:D

The promenade walkway is so much nicer in the areas where it is separated from roadway (sunken gardens and northern promenade). Cant help thinking a major mistake was made not making the tramway single lane with passing point from Broadway to Terminus and putting it at side of road next to pavement. This would allow enough room to continue gardens down from Hydro to Empress. Would have been lovely with palm trees separating roadway and walkway most of the way down. 

It was madness to keep trams in center of road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bonatti said:

The promenade walkway is so much nicer in the areas where it is separated from roadway (sunken gardens and northern promenade). Cant help thinking a major mistake was made not making the tramway single lane with passing point from Broadway to Terminus and putting it at side of road next to pavement. This would allow enough room to continue gardens down from Hydro to Empress. Would have been lovely with palm trees separating roadway and walkway most of the way down. 

It was madness to keep trams in center of road.

Dont disagree but youd lose so much parking and hotels, shops etc  would be up in arms and rightly so. They have all struggled enough with the clusterfuck going on down there sadly .

Edited by Numbnuts

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Dont disagree but youd lose so much parking and hotels, shops etc  would be up in arms and rightly so. They have all struggled enough with the clusterfuck going on down there sadly .

The parking would go on the roadside of the tram track. The road would also be wider having only a single track.

• Like 1

Just read some interesting facts from 1963. The tarmaccing of the new M6 was done at 4miles a week! That is 6 lanes. 

Also in 1963 Oxford circus was completely covered by a 600 TON raised metal platform with 4 roads in and out to keep the traffic flowing while a tube station was built underneath. The whole platform and approach roads was built in ONE LONG WEEKEND!(65hrs).

There were many bridges built in a few days around that time too.

I wonder what went wrong in the IOM during recent years especially with all the equipment now available.

28 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just read some interesting facts from 1963. The tarmaccing of the new M6 was done at 4miles a week! That is 6 lanes. 

Also in 1963 Oxford circus was completely covered by a 600 TON raised metal platform with 4 roads in and out to keep the traffic flowing while a tube station was built underneath. The whole platform and approach roads was built in ONE LONG WEEKEND!(65hrs).

I wonder what went wrong in the IOM during recent years especially with all the equipment now available.

You can have all the best equipment you want, you have to know what to do with it and how to operate it to get it to do the work. I was told by a ship's skipper many moons ago that the best ship in the world is only as good as the man at the helm. I rest my case.

Edited by Beelzebub3
spelling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I visited Glen Helen recently and decided to read about it’s past history, I found this amongst it which for some reason made me think of the ongoing prom saga :

Collapse of the Car Park
Getting back to the old hotel which stood on the site of the car park; this had a stream which flowed down from "Sarah's Cottage", under the car park, and through the cellars of the hotel.

This helped to contribute to the hotel falling into disrepair. It was decided in the late 1960s that the building was in such a state that it had to be demolished.  They did this by allowing the debris to collapse into the basement and then constructed the car park over it.

All was fine until in the late 1980s when an unsuspecting lorry driver decided to park over this exact spot.  After partaking of a spot of lunch, he felt the urge to answer a call of nature and chose to do this in a secluded spot just behind his lorry.  Whether this was a quirk of nature or not, will never be known, for as he was looking around him he noticed to his horror, that under the rear wheels of the lorry was a hole about eighteen inches across. He carefully moved the lorry and phoned the Forestry Board to report the hole.  Once the inspection team had arrived it was decided to bring in a mechanical digger to investigate further. Just as the bucket of the digger was being lowered towards the hole, the surrounding car park fell fourteen-foot down into what had been the basement of the hotel.  When the debris from the demolition had been allowed to fall into the space, the wooden beams and supports had crisscrossed each other and had eventually rotted away causing the rubble on top to fall lower.  On further inspection, it was discovered that the whole of the car park was in danger of collapse due to the underground stream, so a new concrete culvert was laid to channel the water away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

The roads you talk about weren’t in use while the work was going on.