Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

19 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I visited Glen Helen recently and decided to read about it’s past history, I found this amongst it which for some reason made me think of the ongoing prom saga :

So that's where they put the voids.  No wonder the DoI haven't been able to find them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Just read some interesting facts from 1963. The tarmaccing of the new M6 was done at 4miles a week! That is 6 lanes. 

Also in 1963 Oxford circus was completely covered by a 600 TON raised metal platform with 4 roads in and out to keep the traffic flowing while a tube station was built underneath. The whole platform and approach roads was built in ONE LONG WEEKEND!(65hrs).

There were many bridges built in a few days around that time too.

I wonder what went wrong in the IOM during recent years especially with all the equipment now available.

No good posting that kind of nonsense - those guys didn't have a clue

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

No, the prom isn't done yet but they managed to finish work on QB road. All new and shiny now. Someone mentioned Ago's Leap is different now?

Quarterbridge Road Douglas Isle of Man (4).jpgQuarterbridge Road Douglas Isle of Man (3).jpgQuarterbridge Road Douglas Isle of Man (2).jpgQuarterbridge Road Douglas Isle of Man (1).jpg

Might just be my car, but in your second photo heading towards bray hill I get a constant vibration, like the road surface is corrugated.

Last experienced down Games way when they newly laid that, and shortly before it was redone.

(From a quote adapted on Jeremy Vine show today)

On the Isle of Man we drive on the left of the road, except on Douglas Promenade where we drive on what's left of the road.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5