Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

22 hours ago, skins said:

Today’s missive from MyProm includes a photo that suggests the marker has been turned 180 degrees!

3947AE9F-557B-44D3-9FD3-5F953D5EA708.jpeg

the juxtaposition with the Marmaris takeaway in the background is glorious

• Like 1

Out of interest, has anyone been following the Cycle Lane between Anagh Coar and Pulrose?

I swear they've been building it for 6 months - must be the same contractors as the prom or something.  It's a bloody cycle path for godsake! 

Der Fuhrer thinks we should leave the prom half finished!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=61618&headline=Christian: Stop tram tracks at Sefton&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2021&action=added

I knew this would end up being a cock up. Nice new prom and horse trams to nowhere. There's nothing at the Summerland Bombsite end to attract people, and almost as little at the Sefton. Well, I guess it will be the end of the trams, after all that money spent on the tramsheds. 

I despair with the dysfunctional bunch we have in charge, we are going to hell in a handcart.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Der Fuhrer thinks we should leave the prom half finished!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=61618&headline=Christian: Stop tram tracks at Sefton&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2021&action=added

I knew this would end up being a cock up. Nice new prom and horse trams to nowhere. There's nothing at the Summerland Bombsite end to attract people, and almost as little at the Sefton. Well, I guess it will be the end of the trams, after all that money spent on the tramsheds. 

I despair with the dysfunctional bunch we have in charge, we are going to hell in a handcart.

Just leave the tram tracks and finish the highway. Does anyone actually care what happens to the horse trams? 

I just want the road fixed and those bloody temporary traffic lights removed.

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Just leave the tram tracks and finish the highway. Does anyone actually care what happens to the horse trams? 

I just want the road fixed and those bloody temporary traffic lights removed.

I care.

Finishing the tram tracks won't disrupt the traffic any more, this is the beginning of another clusterfuck and a half baked solution! 

• Like 2

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction. Given that Tourism itself is a very small part of GDP, and the horse trams in real terms make an operating loss, there surely should have been a realistic adult debate about what could be done with them to retain their charm, ( personally I don't see it, I see it as an animal welfare issue in 2021, but everyone to their own ) and perhaps position them somewhere else where aficionados could still experience a short ride and get to meet the animals etc. To contribute to a civil engineering disaster in the way they have is beyond parody. Wildlife park, home of rest, there must be other locations where they could have been sited.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco... 

They should have moved them lock stock and barrel up to Ramsey prom (and created a charitable trust for them and recruited volunteers). Encourage locals to invest in the pier and other ancillary business supporting both.

Would have solved all the problems associated with horse trams all at once...and tarted up Ramsey in the process.

I'll bet the true prom costs associated with the trams will be well upward of 20% of the total prom costs...given the hassle they have caused.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Be interesting to know, how many millions the horse tram rails, and their various issues have cost during the prom fiasco, including delays and /or reconstruction. Given that Tourism itself is a very small part of GDP, and the horse trams in real terms make an operating loss, there surely should have been a realistic adult debate about what could be done with them to retain their charm, ( personally I don't see it, I see it as an animal welfare issue in 2021, but everyone to their own ) and perhaps position them somewhere else where aficionados could still experience a short ride and get to meet the animals etc. To contribute to a civil engineering disaster in the way they have is beyond parody. Wildlife park, home of rest, there must be other locations where they could have been sited.

Their ill conceived layout is to blame for the whole promenade design being a complete fiasco.

I suspect that several people interfered in the design process to try and push their own agenda leading to no singular clear cut design and still no clear outcome for the trams.

This is why we now have this complete cluster-f@*kery of a promenade.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They should have moved them lock stock and barrel up to Ramsey prom (and created a charitable trust for them and recruited volunteers). Encourage locals to invest in the pier and other ancillary business supporting both.

Would have solved all the problems associated with horse trams all at once...and tarted up Ramsey in the process.

I'll bet the true prom costs associated with the trams will be well upward of 20% of the total prom costs...given the hassle they have caused.

They could have put them on the wide concrete walkway on the Ramsey North Promenade, that way they're away from the traffic and that walkway is easily wide enough to accommodate them and walkers/cyclists etc.

Plus, if they're that much of an attraction, it would have brought some tourist dollars up to Ramsey too. Stables could have been built for a fraction of what they've spent in Douglas.

But of course the Douglas Prom rail installation has an ulterior motive...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3