Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Nothing will happen.   There’ll be no personnel change, it’s too close to the election.  There’ll be no real inquiry.    DOI will carry on in its own merry way and Prom Remedial Works will be a permanent line in the Treasury Pink Book. 

nick will retire in 10 years time on a fantastic pension, and there’ll still be cracks in the tarmac on the prom and only half a tramway. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Weirdly they appear to have used that exact method on South Quay. 

Don't know if anyone else has seen it? Never seen it used over here before. 

It's a job for your man who was out these counting the cracks....he can fill them with black toothpaste next time he's bored 

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but a committee 'looking into the scheme' is alleging that the DOI is 'hiding full cost of Prom work'. I must say that this does not surprise me as the work seems to go on endlessly. My question though is, 'would this be sackable offence in private sector? Probably yes. But in wonderful 'untouchable' world of civil servants, if this allegation turns out to be correct, the response will undoubtedly be that 'lessons have been learnt'.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-hiding-full-cost-of-prom-works-says-committee/

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, code99 said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but a committee 'looking into the scheme' is alleging that the DOI is 'hiding full cost of Prom work'. I must say that this does not surprise me as the work seems to go on endlessly. My question though is, 'would this be sackable offence in private sector? Probably yes. But in wonderful 'untouchable' world of civil servants, if this allegation turns out to be correct, the response will undoubtedly be that 'lessons have been learnt'.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-hiding-full-cost-of-prom-works-says-committee/

There's no question it would be sackable in the private sector - on multiple counts. 

The first would be for the sheer omnishambles that this scheme had turned into.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, code99 said:

For what it’s worth, here is my thought - it won’t be long though before the few IOMG nutters and multiple sock puppets  on here make their views known.

Like the Private Dick Investigation into Abbotwood home, which recommended police action, can the authorities not get forensic accountants to investigate the mismanagement of the work on the promenade and other capital projects. If any malpractice, corruption or malfeasance taken place or suspected, perhaps the police could then be involved. Perhaps the right questions are not being asked? If the contractors have screwed up, what’s the betting they will screw up again - who is supervising them. Perhaps if fcuk ups happen, it’s proven they are useless, and should be disqualified from further tendering exercises on the grounds of poor workmanship. 

I can’t expect this new Capital Projects Unit from the Treasury to be effective either, another Government department marking their homework. 

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

There's no question it would be sackable in the private sector - on multiple counts. 

Government is incapable of taking action or supervision come to that. It could be said that civil servants need to be accountable, if they don’t want to be, fine but perhaps there work should be scrutinised and they can face workplace actions at the appraisal stage.  If work performance is poor or leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps others can do the job

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

For what it’s worth, here is my thought - it won’t be long though before the few IOMG nutters and multiple sock puppets  on here make their views known.

Like the Private Dick Investigation into Abbotwood home, which recommended police action, can the authorities not get forensic accountants to investigate the mismanagement of the work on the promenade and other capital projects. If any malpractice, corruption or malfeasance taken place or suspected, perhaps the police could then be involved. Perhaps the right questions are not being asked? If the contractors have screwed up, what’s the betting they will screw up again - who is supervising them. Perhaps if fcuk ups happen, it’s proven they are useless, and should be disqualified from further tendering exercises on the grounds of poor workmanship. 

I can’t expect this new Capital Projects Unit from the Treasury to be effective either, another Government department marking their homework. 

when government departments waste  money and fuck up it all gets hushed up and hidden away , wake up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Like the Private Dick Investigation into Abbotwood home, which recommended police action, can the authorities not get forensic accountants to investigate the mismanagement of the work on the promenade and other capital projects. If any malpractice, corruption or malfeasance taken place or suspected, perhaps the police could then be involved. Perhaps the right questions are not being asked?

They can't just call the police in willy nilly for when highly paid and important people are involved - they may get charged or accused of all sorts. That's only for plebs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Apple said:

They can't just call the police in willy nilly for when highly paid and important people are involved - they may get charged or accused of all sorts. That's only for plebs.

You're getting the hang of things!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Think the problem might be that most of the screw ups are down to DOI and hence the problem. Both main parties are keeping each other sweet as they need each other when the s*** hits the fan. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apple said:

Yes not sure incompetence can be deemed a criminal offence . Not sure how Treasury have not been involved more or maybe they have !?? Certainly should have been .   

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes not sure incompetence can be deemed a criminal offence . Not sure how Treasury have not been involved more or maybe they have !?? Certainly should have been .   

Agreed. It surely must just be down to incompetence. 

Or is it........🤐

😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Whilst mistakes can occur in private sector appointments, I can't beleive that any organisation responsible for the successful and efficient completion of high-value projects in the private sector, would have hired Nick Black in a senior position. What exactly did he bring to the job, in terms of achievements or experience? His record speaks volumes about his lack of suitability.

• Like 11

Given that the DOI were previously told that their Promenade overspends would have to be found from within their existing budgets (this was before the latest revelations and a proposed new visit to the next Tynwald for extra funding); one might wonder how much has been siphoned away from other road maintenance budgeting already in the name of this?

• Like 2