Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

18 minutes ago, Apple said:

Completely. To be honest it seems a bit of a ridiculous comparison to make. 

We all know it is taking far too long but to to put this issue alongside these other significant events seems to me to be just playground politics. What is the point ?

Let’s face it, the 1979 Tynwald Millenium was 365000 days in the making.

And there hasn’t been a day since 1959 when Britain’s motorways haven’t been being built, repaired, widened, contra-flowed or made smart.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Let’s face it, the 1979 Tynwald Millennium was 365000 days in the making.

And there hasn’t been a day since 1959 when Britain’s motorways haven’t been being built, repaired, widened, contra-flowed or made smart.

Have another try.

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think it was meant to make a point rather than be factually correct.

It succeeded for a split second until you realised it was a load of rubbish.

The issue with Mr Josem is that he isn’t even qualified at making all this stuff up. He got a BA in policy according to his website. He doesn’t seem to actually possess any relevant certifications in the areas where he proclaims he’s an expert in producing all these report. So it’s basically the unqualified opinion of some bloke who happens to have a website which claims it’s a research website when it isn’t really. 

14 minutes ago, MarkPark said:

The issue with Mr Josem is that he isn’t even qualified at making all this stuff up. He got a BA in policy according to his website. He doesn’t seem to actually possess any relevant certifications in the areas where he proclaims he’s an expert in producing all these report. So it’s basically the unqualified opinion of some bloke who happens to have a website which claims it’s a research website when it isn’t really. 

BA in Policy. What's that?

His website is better than Gef,  it that's not saying much

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But thinking about it it's wrong.  Because when Britain moved from Julian to Gregorian Calendar in 1752 they moved the day forwards from St John's Day (24 June) to 5 July to compensate.  So 365248 is probably right.

Yep. The calculator hasn’t adjusted for the Julian fall behind

The sources that I use are, as always, published and open to scrutiny.  They are listed in, and linked from, the article here: https://taxpayersalliance.im/great-endeavours-of-the-modern-era-douglas-prom-and-others/

Where relevant (eg, Operation Overlord, putting a man on the moon, Channel Tunnel) the dates include the planning phase. In the case of World War 2, and Brexit, I used what I thought were reasonable dates for the start and end of each. There is, as I noted, some dispute about the start of Operation Overlord, and there is also some doubt about when the US moon program technically started (the Apollo program pre-dated Kennedy's presidency, but he seems to substantially expand it to include the moon, so my article didn't refer to the Apollo program, but merely "putting a man on the moon"). In addition, there have been some people who advocated a channel tunnel dating back the 19th century.

Of course, there is no "official" start or "official" end of World War 2* - In the case of WW2, there are plausible arguments to use the Japanese invasion of China, or the Italian invasion of modern-day Ethiopia, or various other start dates. Other people might argue that war continued until the Paris treaties of 1947, or even San Francisco in 1951. 

If you want to argue in favour of other dates (for any of the events) go ahead. I'm not the official arbiter of world history. I've made a good faith effort to reasonably estimate each of the dates, and have done a reasonable job of providing sources for my estimates as linked above.

*Or, perhaps, Brexit? 

8 minutes ago, Josem said:

The sources that I use are, as always, published and open to scrutiny.  They are listed in, and linked from, the article here: https://taxpayersalliance.im/great-endeavours-of-the-modern-era-douglas-prom-and-others/

Where relevant (eg, Operation Overlord, putting a man on the moon, Channel Tunnel) the dates include the planning phase. In the case of World War 2, and Brexit, I used what I thought were reasonable dates for the start and end of each. There is, as I noted, some dispute about the start of Operation Overlord, and there is also some doubt about when the US moon program technically started (the Apollo program pre-dated Kennedy's presidency, but he seems to substantially expand it to include the moon, so my article didn't refer to the Apollo program, but merely "putting a man on the moon"). In addition, there have been some people who advocated a channel tunnel dating back the 19th century.

Of course, there is no "official" start or "official" end of World War 2* - In the case of WW2, there are plausible arguments to use the Japanese invasion of China, or the Italian invasion of modern-day Ethiopia, or various other start dates. Other people might argue that war continued until the Paris treaties of 1947, or even San Francisco in 1951. 

If you want to argue in favour of other dates (for any of the events) go ahead. I'm not the official arbiter of world history. I've made a good faith effort to reasonably estimate each of the dates, and have done a reasonable job of providing sources for my estimates as linked above.

*Or, perhaps, Brexit? 

That’s a very long winded way of saying “I made them up” or “I chose the dates to suit my purpose and message”.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s a very long winded way of saying “I made them up” or “I chose the dates to suit my purpose and message”.

Another successful online conversation:

John Wright: Josem made up the dates, he's wrong.

Josem: Here's the sources

John Wright: I'm not interested in that

• Like 1