Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

37 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes.  I should have stated one way.

The point still stands though.  Any moaning about the traffic implications is clearly being done by people who don't use the routes.

Ah righto.  

Having already driven past the school to the Oak tree, and also along Tromode Road this morning I have to disagree.

I also can’t see what really needs doing on that road.  The whole thing was rebuilt from foundations up not long ago when they built that insanely expensive stone wall on your left at the bottom heading into Douglas.

A crossing probably isn’t a bad shout but is hardly a six week job to install.

Plenty of roads where I would be allocating money and resources before that one.  

How about widening Tromode Road first? 

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Ah righto.  

Having already driven past the school to the Oak tree, and also along Tromode Road this morning I have to disagree.

I also can’t see what really needs doing on that road.  The whole thing was rebuilt from foundations up not long ago when they built that insanely expensive stone wall on your left at the bottom heading into Douglas.

A crossing probably isn’t a bad shout but is hardly a six week job to install.

Plenty of roads where I would be allocating money and resources before that one.  

How about widening Tromode Road first? 

The crossing doesn't take 6 weeks. The resurfacing does. You'd be glad of the resurfacing if you ever had to go that way in an ambulance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

The crossing doesn't take 6 weeks. The resurfacing does. You'd be glad of the resurfacing if you ever had to go that way in an ambulance

It’s a near enough new surface all the way from Jubikee Oak to the hospital. I have never noticed an issue (anymore so than most of the rest of our roads) in either car, van, push bike or motorbike.

I will check it out later when going that way and see what is so bad that it justifies 6 weeks of disruption.

Braddan school road is falling to bits, it was reconstructed 20 years ago with shite stone from Stoney mountain which should have stayed at Stoney, it is pure crap and I know it meets all the criteria as a type 1 stone it IMO is inferior to Billown/Poortown stone which is a harder, less flexible and more suited to Road reconstruction, although it is probably cheaper to quarry at Stoney hence it's use by the DOI.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes.  I should have stated one way.

The point still stands though.  Any moaning about the traffic implications is clearly being done by people who don't use the routes.

I use it every day & there will definitely be long delays, I don’t believe you do use it!

Traffic lights today at glen vine , large tailback, no school traffic. There is a lot of traffic even when schools are off , not that you would know.

5 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

How bad is it please? for us non islanders 

thank you 

Compared to most roads in the UK it is fine.

It is a straight road past a school with good visibility in each direction, a 20mph. Limit around school times and a 40mph at other times.

If you had to prioritise all the roads that need money spending on them island wide it wouldn’t be in the top 50 percent.

It was also completely rebuilt at great expense and disruption about 20 years ago as an access route to the “new” hospital.

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Compared to most roads in the UK it is fine.

It is a straight road past a school with good visibility in each direction, a 20mph. Limit around school times and a 40mph at other times.

If you had to prioritise all the roads that need money spending on them island wide it wouldn’t be in the top 50 percent.

It was also completely rebuilt at great expense and disruption about 20 years ago as an access route to the “new” hospital.

Ah sorry crossed thread, I meant the promenade 

thanks though 

46 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

if Leather gets loch prom  extended out to sea what is now the prom won't actually be the prom any more.  i'm sure all the existing  hotels along there will be quite happy to have nearly 50 acres of buildings between themselves and the sea,  daft old fucker even with his so claimed qualifications .   is this an example of the new blood required in politics ??  ha fucking ha.

As I said elsewhere, the king of Moraecea or whatever the F its called, when he is an MHK can moor his floating metropolis to it ! makes the monster raving loony party look positively sane FFS.

14 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

Ah sorry crossed thread, I meant the promenade 

thanks though 

Ah ok.

Yeah that is a national disgrace.  The bits that are finally “finished” are already falling apart and I predict major and ongoing remedial works for the next few years.

If I get a chance later I will find some recent dash am footage.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

I use it every day & there will definitely be long delays, I don’t believe you do use it!

Traffic lights today at glen vine , large tailback, no school traffic. There is a lot of traffic even when schools are off , not that you would know.

Drove it today.  As I do every single day.

As BJ points out, the traffic routed down Strang Road will be giving way to tonthe right exactly as they do at the Oak Tree.

It's just moaning bullshit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Braddan school road is falling to bits, it was reconstructed 20 years ago with shite stone from Stoney mountain which should have stayed at Stoney, it is pure crap and I know it meets all the criteria as a type 1 stone it IMO is inferior to Billown/Poortown stone which is a harder, less flexible and more suited to Road reconstruction, although it is probably cheaper to quarry at Stoney hence it's use by the DOI.

This.

It's really nice to use, and whacks down beautifully, but it is super soft and you need loads. Good enough for shed bases or pavements but I'd not trust it for heavy duty loads. Be better off using recycled hardcore from JCK really, for price, or as you say Billown. They generally use Billown for surface dressing chippings, but they only work in the right place. Like, not a busy steep hill. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Drove it today.  As I do every single day.

As BJ points out, the traffic routed down Strang Road will be giving way to tonthe right exactly as they do at the Oak Tree.

It's just moaning bullshit

You talk bullshit on everything, let’s see what it’s like when it’s one way with buses & hospital traffic to Douglas being routed down strang road & tromode road which are terrible roads at best of times, try turning right into tromode road at busy times, traffic is backed up to graveyard 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Ah ok.

Yeah that is a national disgrace.  The bits that are finally “finished” are already falling apart and I predict major and ongoing remedial works for the next few years.

If I get a chance later I will find some recent dash am footage.

oh no!!! video or photos would be very much appreciated, thank you

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Agree there are plenty of busy roads/routes that require attention more than this & not just in Douglas. But for example, DOI have mentioned elsewhere that they won’t touch Woodbourne Road until the Prom has been completed as it’s a key alternative route; obviously don’t view this road in the same way despite the additional traffic from Onchan and the north heading into town instead of along the Prom.