Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I really don't get the crying over a one way at Braddan school. Its a busy road, for the island but it needs repair.

To repair a road you either need to shut it completely, use traffic lights or, as they are doing, make it one way.

What else can they do? 

The only other option is not doing it.

That has been the choice on a lot of our roads and look at the state of them...............

Our resident amateur civil engineers on here seem to think it does not need doing but I would bet a few £ that it does, it cracked up not long after it was laid all those years ago. It may have been bad tarmac, I don't know, but its in a shocking state for an approach to a hospital from the main town on the island.

No one likes sitting in traffic queues but that is just a fact of life these days with the volume of cars on the island now and no real alternatives.

In the UK they build new roads to take the pressure of main routes but we don't.

Traffic congestion will only get worse here until there is some change in the law to ban cars or we build new roads, both of which are not going to happen anytime this side of the next millennium.

• Thanks 1

DOI primary functions:

1) To create as much inconvenience, frustration and misery as possible to motorised users of the highway network. Only the DOI could possibly plan to close/disrupt so many commuter arteries near simultaneously without regard to the knock-ons (Promenade, Braddan school, Mountain).

2) To squander as much public money as possible.

3) To keep as many otherwise unemployable managers and jobsworths in lucrative employment as possible.

I drove past the "road improvements" in KM this afternoon, including waiting at traffic lights. Workers standing (and sitting) around, dragging on fags and largely doing very little.

WTF is wrong with this Dept?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

DOI primary functions:

1) To create as much inconvenience, frustration and misery as possible to motorised users of the highway network. Only the DOI could possibly plan to close/disrupt so many commuter arteries near simultaneously without regard to the knock-ons (Promenade, Braddan school, Mountain).

2) To squander as much public money as possible.

3) To keep as many otherwise unemployable managers and jobsworths in lucrative employment as possible.

I drove past the "road improvements" in KM this afternoon, including waiting at traffic lights. Workers standing (and sitting) around, dragging on fags and largely doing very little.

WTF is wrong with this Dept?

I'm not sure the Promenade is relevant really.  Are you seriously suggesting no other arterial roads can be done whilst the Prom (which is open to traffic both ways) continues?

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm not sure the Promenade is relevant really.  Are you seriously suggesting no other arterial roads can be done whilst the Prom (which is open to traffic both ways) continues?

Looks like Nick is trying to justify his salary and cock ups again😂

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm suggesting that they could be looking at their working practices to keep routes open (in both directions) as much as possible, that includes night working where necessary. And actually doing some work on occasions.

Why is the promenade not relevant? It is a major commuter route into Douglas from the North.

• Like 4

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I'm suggesting that they could be looking at their working practices to keep routes open (in both directions) as much as possible, that includes night working where necessary. And actually doing some work on occasions.

Why is the promenade not relevant? It is a major commuter route into Douglas from the North.

Firstly, it's open.

Secondly, the maintenance of the road network can't come to a halt because of the Prom (which is open to traffic).

In relation to Braddan school Road- the only thing that is a priority is emergency services access to the hospital.  That rules out traffic flows down the road. Obviously.

They're doing it at the quietest time of the year in terms of road traffic on that road.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Firstly, it's open.

Secondly, the maintenance of the road network can't come to a halt because of the Prom (which is open to traffic).

In relation to Braddan school Road- the only thing that is a priority is emergency services access to the hospital.  That rules out traffic flows down the road. Obviously.

They're doing it at the quietest time of the year in terms of road traffic on that road.

You talk some bollocks even for a DOI person!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Firstly, it's open.

I'm not suggesting that road maintenance comes to a halt simply because of the ongoing Promenade work.

I'm suggesting that the DOI consider not bringing everybody else to a halt when those people are simply trying to get to work or go about their daily business. They could do this by adjusting their working patterns like much of the rest of the world already do.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm annoyed because they're doing it:rolleyes: It's the best time of year up there 

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And thats probably why the brains trust at DOI are doing it then. Theres a prize at Xmas for the person coming up with the best plan to disrupt the population ! Lots of entrants this year but no clear leader yet .

It would be pretty silly to attempt road works on the mountain during the winter