Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I went past Braddan School a few times again today after reading this thread.

One section is breaking up and sinking a bit between the school and the entrance to the housing estate.  It looks like poor repair work in the past that has caused it tbh.  Perhaps by DOI , maybe third party.

Either way.  I cant possibly see how it is six weeks work.  Its a stretch of road about 100 yards long and is actually perfectly  adequate as it is - although I accept it will continue to deteriorate if left.

6 weeks is an absolute joke, and whatever those who defend them say the amount of effort applied per man on site during the working day on any government funded job is WAY below that of a private company.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Either way.  I cant possibly see how it is six weeks work.  Its a stretch of road about 100 yards long and is actually perfectly  adequate as it is - although I accept it will continue to deteriorate if left.

6 weeks is an absolute joke, and whatever those who defend them say the amount of effort applied per an on site during the working day on any government funded job is WAY below that of a private company.

The Gov news release says 'To enable this to happen, a one-way system will be in place for the duration of the project' 

So they might be allowing for overrun due to weather

18 minutes ago, trmpton said:

One section is breaking up and sinking a bit between the school and the entrance to the housing estate.  It looks like poor repair work in the past that has caused it tbh.  Perhaps by DOI , maybe third party.

6 weeks is an absolute joke, and whatever those who defend them say the amount of effort applied per man on site during the working day on any government funded job is WAY below that of a private company.

download (22).jpeg

1 minute ago, finlo said:

download (22).jpeg

Thats isn't fair or accurate.

There would be another bloke to hold the shovel so that the guy could apply all his effort to leaning on it and having a snooze.

Come tea break he would just desert his post and poor dozy comes crashing to the floor.  Thankfully, the hole he should fall into is 4 hours behind schedule and hasn't been dug yet.

10 hours ago, trmpton said:

If you look at the scope of the works being undertaken it seems to be a little more than tarmac of 100 yards of road?  

Also, you should move away from this bizarre notion that the human beings working for any government departments are different from those in the private sector.  You'll find the majority do a fair job, there are a segment that need binning and there will be a segment of really top performing people.  Just like in a private company of any reasonable size.

At Braddan there's a (i assume) traffic lighted pedestrian crossing going in as well which will probably mean infrastructure, pavement changed etc which (again i assume) will take the time.

That road has tried its best to spit me off my bike a good few times with its unruly pot holes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

I've just seen some drone photos from the area outside the Villa marina and along...holy s**t the prom is a complete mess!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Loving the Rainbow paint btw 😎

link to drone pics please ,    

Edited by Pipsqueak
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

WhenJCain tarmacced our drive last year there was no hanging about! Site inspection, plan, job done satisfactorily! Very pleased,maybe get tips off him how to do a good job quickly off him?

With due respect, I don't think the issues on the prom are anything at all to do with Tarmaccing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Don't be silly! Close more of them...

No doubt about it, Mr Baker is commiting politic suicide if he allows this to go ahead, ffs they have had all last year to fix any issues on the Mountain road, I am perhaps wondering are the heads of the DOI are either on drugs or another planet from the rest of us as they appear to go ground for month's then as if by magic they want to close the Island down for roadworks. If they open up the border's in late June I would expect a lot of bike enthusiasts are preparing to visit the Island during this period, although they probably did not think about any other business making a few quid after a year's break as they will have been on full pay and business as usual,thick as pigshit! with no consideration for other folk. This has got to be the most disjointed and out of control Department within Government. Unbelieveable really.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Happier Diner. It is part of the problem but I was just saying that there are contractors on the island who can quickly and effectively carry out road and driveway work at a reasonable price.IMO.

A lot of the contractors do work already for government & some of them aren’t great, Auldyn on promenade, Colas did Richmond hill. Plus they are all struggling for skilled workers. 
Once borders open get a crew over from Ireland or UK to do some of these jobs working 12/14 hours 7 days a week in shifts 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

A lot of the contractors do work already for government & some of them aren’t great, Auldyn on promenade, Colas did Richmond hill. Plus they are all struggling for skilled workers. 
Once borders open get a crew over from Ireland or UK to do some of these jobs working 12/14 hours 7 days a week in shifts 

I would agree totally with this. But the issue still remains of supervision on these jobs. Clerk of the Works is a thing of the past sadly but all these jobs need constant checking for lots of reasons . 

• Like 1