Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

On 5/6/2019 at 2:57 PM, MrPB said:

How do they get away with driving round in English registered vans? I thought if you were here for more than 10 days working the vehicles needed to be reregistered in the IOM under the DOIs own rules? Some of those Watling St vans have been driving round for months paying no road tax here on roads they themselves are cluttering up with junk we’re paying for. 

They're a local outfit.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:57 PM, MrPB said:

How do they get away with driving round in English registered vans? I thought if you were here for more than 10 days working the vehicles needed to be reregistered in the IOM under the DOIs own rules? Some of those Watling St vans have been driving round for months paying no road tax here on roads they themselves are cluttering up with junk we’re paying for. 

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

That isn’t what the report, or law says.

if you live here, or are incorporated here, you must register your vehicle here, if you bring it over and use it, as soon as possible, and 12 weeks is taken as a rule of thumb.

If you live, or are incorporated, elsewhere, and bring a vehicle over it depends on intention, and the rules where you bring it from.

if you intend to bring it over permanently, ie not return it, then as soon as possible, if temporary then you get 6 months before you need to re register under the relevant Vienna Convention agreements.

If the country where the vehicle is registered has permanent export rules, ie vehicle must be notified as exported if permanently absent for a fixed period, then you should register here.

There are other rules and dispensations for temporary residents, such as students.

Side issue, I think the number of Manx registered vehicles driving around on UK roads (usually in the higher tax bands to keep a cherished number) and  in France and Spain, far outweigh the amount of UK vehicles on Manx roads for any length of time. It's just that we are able to monitor them as individuals where UK and continentals don't give a toss about their neighbours driving cars from out of area.

• Like 1

Just now, Max Power said:

Side issue, I think the number of Manx registered vehicles driving around on UK roads (usually in the higher tax bands to keep a cherished number) and  in France and Spain, far outweigh the amount of UK vehicles on Manx roads for any length of time. It's just that we are able to monitor them as individuals where UK and continentals don't give a toss about their neighbours driving cars from out of area.

Actually that’s not true about other countries. There’s been a huge crackdown and purge in Spain, France, Portugal, with cars seized. It’s not the couple of weeks, short visits. It’s the permanent importation, often with no road tax or MOT or insurance ( or dubious insurance via Gibraltar ), in breach of Vienna Convention and EU agreements.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Actually that’s not true about other countries. There’s been a huge crackdown and purge in Spain, France, Portugal, with cars seized. It’s not the couple of weeks, short visits. It’s the permanent importation, often with no road tax or MOT or insurance ( or dubious insurance via Gibraltar ), in breach of Vienna Convention and EU agreements.

That's the advantage to some, being Manx registered they don't need an MOT. I know of several who keep cars out there, probably unseen when they are not in the country, hidden in their villa/garage?

• 1 month later...

What's the deal with the Summerland end of the Promenade? It's all fenced off from the Castle Mona still but nobody has worked on it since TT. That's nearly a month.

I was in the Queens last night and the 'man in the pub' said the workers haven't come back to the Island since they left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, On The Bus said:

What's the deal with the Summerland end of the Promenade? It's all fenced off from the Castle Mona still but nobody has worked on it since TT. That's nearly a month.

I was in the Queens last night and the 'man in the pub' said the workers haven't come back to the Island since they left. 

Your man in the pub is wrong. They have been working. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't make it so...

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Your man in the pub is wrong. They have been working. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't make it so...

How many times have you done that stretch between the Castlemona & Queens to Onchan in the last few weeks? There is hardly a contractor to be seen most days and that’s a fact. You do get the impression something odd is going on. The work surrounding the horse tram lines is rubbish also. I downloaded an incline meter app and it’s quite interesting to see what is the most extreme angle I can get on the tilt meter driving past Millenium Apartments. The road surface is crap just so a few idiots can ride a tram for a few feet. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

I was driving in Douglas, on the prom yesterday morning. There wasn't a DOI/Contractor soul to be seen between the bottom of Broadway and the Sea Terminal. Lots of temporary fencing up but no work going on. Maybe they're stretching it out for a winter work project?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I suspect that they are not in too much of a rush to extend the tram tracks given what a pain in the arse they are so are prioritising work in other areas. 

That would make sense. Have you seen the mental little stop/go board they've got at the moment too? 

It would be good if they just forgot to do the rest of the train tracks. 

19 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How many times have you done that stretch between the Queens and Onchan in the last few weeks? There is hardly a contractor to be seen most days and that’s a fact. You do get the impression something odd is going on. The work surrounding the horse tram lines is rubbish also. I downloaded an incline meter app and it’s quite interesting to see what is the most extreme angle I can get on the tilt meter driving past Millenium Apartments. The road surface is crap just so a few idiots can ride a tram for a few feet. 

I cycle past there every day... They are not there every day but there has been activity (very little)