Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I think the red concrete 'band' outside Admirals house etc is meant as a safe area for pedestrians when crossing. But that doesnt fit in with the red concrete between rails and either side of rails tbh. Its not very clear and equally not sure how it would stand up legally when a accident takes place. , and it will sadly 

It's pretty clear where vehicles need to drive.  Or at least it was when I drove along there. 

9 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Someone needs to stick a live stream camera up on Monday morning. it’s going to absolute carnage, there must be a reason they installed traffic lights rather than a roundabout in the first instance, god help visitors come TT/MGP, it will be every man for themselves like QB.

Quarterbridge is absolutely fine.  The problem appesrs to be Manx drivers understanding how to use a roundabout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skins said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, it’s only opening to exit the prom on Monday……we’ve still got to wait another month until it’s fully opened!!

17D62C56-5CEF-48AA-94BE-0759E0C3C61A.jpeg

It's interesting that this announcement (including the apology for the delay) is being done in the name of the contractor. Had it all come in time & on budget would the contractor have been given the credit?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's interesting that this announcement (including the apology for the delay) is being done in the name of the contractor. Had it all come in time & on budget would the contractor have been given the credit?

I'm not sure finishing a job on budget or time is anything to shout about? Finishing early and under budget perhaps.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

But where is the traffic to go? Between the lines, or following them?  

The crossing outside of  Admiral House - is that a pedestrian crossing or not?

Were these designed approved by a traffic management consultant or some GCSE installation art student?  At least if it was Banksy there would be some acerbic wit in there. 

Does anyone in DOI actually understand that if it is not clear how to use a road, the likely consequences are serious, if not grave? 

This is not designing a patio FFS.

*I was told this last week from someone who should know these things and who had consumed a few to many if you know what I mean.

"The person who drew the conceptual plans for the prom quit their job with no notice, just walked off without even clearing their desk at the sea terminal in the first week that the construction started"

ETA Worth a FOI Joseum?

Edited by Boris Johnson

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think that if you get an overhead shot looking down it’s absolutely clear where traffic goes. It’s round the outer lane. Unless you’re in a big vehicle

Is it actually a roundabout then.  There are no stop or giveaway markings and the similar ones in the UK you don’t have to go around

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think that if you get an overhead shot looking down it’s absolutely clear where traffic goes. It’s round the outer lane. Unless you’re in a big vehicle

I'm not so sure. The outer lane seems to be very guided towards broadway exit. Personally I'd just drive a bit more towards my intended exit (if northbound prom), directly accross 'lane 2'

Screenshot-2021-06-13-at-16-52-44.png

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Is it actually a roundabout then.  There are no stop or giveaway markings and the similar ones in the UK you don’t have to go around

There are stop lines at entry rather than giveaway 

4787C628-F2C6-4E01-A5CF-60C2E29773ED.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There are stop lines at entry rather than giveaway 

4787C628-F2C6-4E01-A5CF-60C2E29773ED.jpeg

It’s going to be carnage.  People concentrating on not getting sideswiped won’t notice the pedestrians on the crossings on their exit from the “thing”

Plus I thought by law a stop or giveaway line was white and reflective.  Those are neither

• Like 1