Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The lines don’t match the picture JW just posted.  This is what I had seen also, hence saying no stop lines as if there were as on the application you would also have to stop when exiting

The match looks pretty good to me, once they are aligned:
100019a.thumb.jpg.3ab63515359a40fed459aaf433e12b2c.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

It’s going to be carnage.  People concentrating on not getting sideswiped won’t notice the pedestrians on the crossings on their exit from the “thing”

Plus I thought by law a stop or giveaway line was white and reflective.  Those are neither

That seems a bit  hysterical to be honest.

It's basic enough.  What is difficult about it?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The match looks pretty good to me, once they are aligned:
100019a.thumb.jpg.3ab63515359a40fed459aaf433e12b2c.jpg

Nope.  Your diagram shows lines on the entrance and exits.  The photo only on (2 of) the entrances.  I assume these are what John interpreted to be stop lines.

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That seems a bit  hysterical to be honest.

It's basic enough.  What is difficult about it?  

So is it a roundabout where you give way to the right to traffic already on it, or is it a roundel like this which has no rules for giving way at all?

https://goo.gl/maps/j3N1AbgyddC2

Edited by trmpton

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You are pulling out in front of traffic coming from your right regardless.

No you don’t.  The traffic coming from your right should give you as much priority as you give them. No one vehicle or pedestrian has priority over anyone else.

It’s basic enough. Whats difficult about it? 😂

The problem, however, is that part of the redevelopment was to turn Poynton into a ‘Shared Space Village’, which is hippy-lingo for ‘hey, let’s all just get along, man’. Essentially, it means that cars, pedestrians, wildlife, and even Manchester United fans all have equal rights, so everyone is expected to be thoroughly British and simply ‘give way to all’. 

4.Poynton-SIgnage-1100x682

The problem, however, is that whilst the intention was to create a pleasant, friendly traffic system based on mutual love and respect, if absolutely everyone adopted the ‘no, please, after you’ approach, then no one would move for fear of being the first to do so (because, if you ignore the traffic rules in Poynton, you are immediately chased from the village by an angry mob wielding pitchforks).

As it happens, because the system is so poorly explained to outsiders, they don’t tend to give way when they ‘should’, which makes the locals very angry indeed. Rather ironically, therefore, instead of introducing a friendly shared space, Poynton now features one of the angriest junctions in the world. I should know, because my office overlooks it, and there is an incident of road rage every four to five minutes. And, when all is said and done, there is very little shared space about a white van driver screaming ‘FUCKING IDIOT!’ at a pensioner.”

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I think the red concrete 'band' outside Admirals house etc is meant as a safe area for pedestrians

Isn't this the problem though? You think it's a pedestrian refuge, but what if it isn't? Didn't some people think the cobbled areas around the mini roundabouts by the bus station and Governors Bridge were pedestrian refuges, but the turned out to be run off areas for large vehicles to negotiate the roundabout.

Things should be 100% clear when it comes to road safety. 

What's the status of the plain grey "crossings" outside Admiral House and the Villa? 

43 minutes ago, trmpton said:

It’s going to be carnage.  People concentrating on not getting sideswiped won’t notice the pedestrians on the crossings on their exit from the “thing”

Plus I thought by law a stop or giveaway line was white and reflective.  Those are neither

Those crossings so close to the junction are an accident waiting to happen. 

What actually are they? One one seems to be marked as a zebra.

38 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Isn't this the problem though? You think it's a pedestrian refuge, but what if it isn't? Didn't some people think the cobbled areas around the mini roundabouts by the bus station and Governors Bridge were pedestrian refuges, but the turned out to be run off areas for large vehicles to negotiate the roundabout.

Things should be 100% clear when it comes to road safety. 

What's the status of the plain grey "crossings" outside Admiral House and the Villa? 

Imagine during TT 2022 when all the traffic is forced along this wonderous highway during racing.

• Like 1