Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Really?  You cant really believe that?

I genuinely do because it isn't going to change.  If you are driving from the Gaiety side and are driving along the Prom you will stop and give way to traffic from the right wanting to turn up Broadway or return back the way they came.  What actions are you doing differently to any other normal situation?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I genuinely do because it isn't going to change.  If you are driving from the Gaiety side and are driving along the Prom you will stop and give way to traffic from the right wanting to turn up Broadway or return back the way they came.  What actions are you doing differently to any other normal situation?

Someone coming from onchan wanting to turn up Broadway is perfectly entitled to go right across the front of you as I understand it.

There is no priority, there is no right of way, people can do what the hell they please.

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

False. That would only apply if it's a roundabout.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

False. That would only apply if it's a roundabout.

Correct answer.  “basic” apparently.  

People treating it as TDDB’s has described, no matter how basic he thinks it is, is exactly why it won’t work 

21 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That is literally the opposite of what you would do at a normal junction. So why would you do it here?

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

If that’s the intention I’m delighted but also slightly terrified.

I once spent some time in Drächten in the Netherlands. The first day I arrived I couldn’t work out what was different. It was a fab feeling actually when I worked out there were no road signs or road markings. It all just worked intuitively and the bonus was the environment isn’t negatively impacted by metal signs and road markings. It’s all a bit more Zen. The people of the Netherlands are tolerant, kind, intelligent, patient, and believe more in ‘us’ rather than ‘me’.  Trams, bicycles, trains, busses, people all converge in the busiest part of town and it all works out beautifully. It’s actually like watching a moving work of art  

However, we are not Zen.  Neither are we Netherlanders.  

I can see trouble ahead. 

It'll be a petrifying thought for some people to actually think whilst they are driving.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

At a normal junction i would be checking left and right and depending which way I'm turning would then dictate my actions.

At a normal crossroads of you were driving straight through you would stop to left traffic turn right in front of you?  Is that what you are saying?

Like if you were heading to St Ninians from QB you would stop at the bottom of Bray hill to let someone turn right into Tromode Road?

Really?

Edited by trmpton

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

At a normal crossroads of you were driving straight through you would stop to left traffic turn right in front of you?  Is that what you are saying?

Like if you were heading to St Ninians to from QB you would stop at the bottom of Bray hill to let someone turn right into Tromode Road?

Really?

You are getting hysterical now.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Apply this to the bottom of Bray Hill example.

I would hope you would do things very differently

28 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I once spent some time in Drächten in the Netherlands. Trams, bicycles, trains, busses, people all converge in the busiest part of town and it all works out beautifully.

I spent some time in Amsterdam a few years back, and though I was generally extremely mellow for some mysterious reason, and although I'd never previously had any issue with bicycles, as a pedestrian I could quite cheerfully have strangled a good number of Dutch cyclists with their own intestines most days.

• Haha 1