Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That isn't the point.

The point you went hysterical over was that this was going to create certain death etc for people and it would be a disaster.

Which it won't be.

You still going to stop and give way to people turning right?

There will be accidents, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if within 12 months at least one of them is serious and involves pedestrians.

1 hour ago, Fluffy123 said:

That system has many positives. It's too bad that most posters will scroll past it. I can see it working a treat once people have the measure of it, perhaps with the exception of those who are prone to barrelling over our current roundabouts.

Like the resident of Poynton says, after being skeptical initially he has eaten his words and claims it a success and his advice is simple; "slow down, look, move forward." Similiar to what we do presently, only in a more yielding manner.

Thanks for posting it... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, quilp said:

That system has many positives. It's too bad that most posters will scroll past it. I can see it working a treat once people have the measure of it, perhaps with the exception of those who are prone to barrelling over our current roundabouts.

Like the resident of Poynton says, after being skeptical initially he has eaten his words and claims it a success and his advice is simple; "slow down, look, move forward." Similiar to what we do presently, only in a more yielding manner.

Thanks for posting it... 

it’s the junction I posted google earth links to previously.  I also posted text from a website about it.

That video is, shall we say. A little one sided and not necessarily representative of everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, trmpton said:

You still going to stop and give way to people turning right?

There will be accidents, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if within 12 months at least one of them is serious and involves pedestrians.

I said the same about the traffic lights in Onchan, after they went messing with the timings, I witnessed a few close calls but never heard of any serious accidents, much to my surprise.

This roundabout doesn’t make any sense though, where is the centre? Why is it oblong rather than round (as per the example they’ve used from England) surely at least the centre section should be painted? It’s very confusing to me because I was taught many years ago never to cross a solid white line and here we have a set of them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I was taught many years ago never to cross a solid white line and here we have a set of them

But the ones on the 'roundabout' are different. Not crossing solid white lines only applies to those marking the centre line, or between lanes.

what about solid white lines at junctions - do you cross them?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I said the same about the traffic lights in Onchan, after they went messing with the timings, I witnessed a few close calls but never heard of any serious accidents, much to my surprise.

This roundabout doesn’t make any sense though, where is the centre? Why is it oblong rather than round (as per the example they’ve used from England) surely at least the centre section should be painted? It’s very confusing to me because I was taught many years ago never to cross a solid white line and here we have a set of them.

Did you watch the video posted earlier by Fluffy? It clearly shows how the system works and its influence on traffic flow. Yes, it'll take a period of adaptation for local drivers but from that video it's not a great demand on logic and patience. "Slow down, look, move off..."