Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

11 minutes ago, kevster said:

I thought it was closing again later in the year so it could be finished properly.....

I believe that os true.  This is apparently temporary so they need the date for “finishing” then almost immediately the whole shambles starts again

I've been looking into some of the theory behind the prom design - known as Placemaking.

This PDF from Brent has details of the traffic calming and shared space ideas that are behind this sort of design. See section 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kevster said:

I've been looking into some of the theory behind the prom design - known as Placemaking.

This PDF from Brent has details of the traffic calming and shared space ideas that are behind this sort of design. See section 7

It's simply to confuse visitors and have then running back to the Ferry ASAP  :P

46 minutes ago, kevster said:

I like this idea but they don’t seem to have done one thing or another.

Broadway (assuming it isn’t just a roundabout, in which case they need to get rid of the lines which make it sort of look like a roundabout) is still a big wide junction.  People heading along the prom barely need to turn the steering wheel.  That doesn’t fit in with any of what is on the document with regards to the amount of traffic on the road , or…

“Emphasis should be placed on tight junction geometry which can act to
slow vehicle movement and focus driver concentration. Tight junction geometries also give greater priority, confidence and safety to pedestrians and cyclists.”

I also read somewhere a few months back that the Poynton project has been a victim of its own success.... increased HG traffic due to better flow. There's now a plan to create a relief road to move the traffic away from the area!

ETA: Here's the latest https://marketingstockport.co.uk/news/work-begins-on-long-awaited-poynton-relief-road/

Unintended consequences in action.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kevster said:

what about solid white lines at junctions - do you cross them?

Only once I’ve stopped, the amount of people who roll through stop junctions is another issue entirely, is this the reason people stop at roundabouts like QB even when it’s their right of way, because I’ve yet to see a stop line at a roundabout.

Im also surprised no one has mentioned it will be slippy for motorcycles in the wet.

Edited by Annoymouse