Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

12 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

There is a most noticeable rise in aggressiveness of drivers the closer one gets to douglas. It doesn't help matters. I often go against my own right of way to let others out. I'm not overly big on using indicators though. Swings and roundabouts

They're putting a swing in? Where?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Only once I’ve stopped, the amount of people who roll through stop junctions is another issue entirely, is this the reason people stop at roundabouts like QB even when it’s their right of way, because I’ve yet to see a stop line at a roundabout.

Im also surprised no one has mentioned it will be slippy for motorcycles in the wet.

Will it?

Quarterbridge just exposes vegetables who can't drive correctly.  Lines or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Will it?

Quarterbridge just exposes vegetables who can't drive correctly.  Lines or not.

True. And Braddan Bridge.

They both really bring out the “GIVE WAY TO THE RIGHT!!!” idiots.

That being those that shout that the loudest are usually the ones who don’t understand how a roundabout works and cause half the issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well if it’s the same paint that’s used on white lines then yes, in an ideal world you want to try and keep the bike upright and in a straight line going over painted lines.

It’s shellgrip on tarmac. So no issue.

Plus it isn’t white.  Apart from those minor points your concerns are entirely valid 

Edited by trmpton

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well if it’s the same paint that’s used on white lines then yes, in an ideal world you want to try and keep the bike upright and in a straight line going over painted lines.

It's not like they've pained it into a giant oval or anything  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trmpton said:

It’s shellgrip on tarmac. So no issue.

Plus it isn’t white.  Apart from those minor points your concerns are entirely valid 

Fair enough, so it’s quite the opposite then, the shellgrip will actually have more grip than the fresh tarmac, so that’s good to know.

CBA looking but didn’t they pitch it from the beginning as a “roundabout” at he bottom of Broadway so that’s what people will be expecting and acting accordingly?

if the intention is that there is no “right of way” and people are to slow down, look and proceed there’s going to be no end of fun down there. There’s no way traffic coming along the prom are going to lift approaching that. “I’m coming through and no other bugger can stop me” is the Manx way

• Like 2

TBH i'm not sure about the design and theory. If there is one , behind it but my main gripe having looked at it is the quality of workmanship is just a disgrace. The finishing , different shades of red , the lines and the tarmac are all very sub standard and should never ever be signed off . We were sold this as something to be proud of but I'm sorry no one , least of all the contractors should be proud of this. And at what cost ??    

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, yorik said:

CBA looking but didn’t they pitch it from the beginning as a “roundabout” at he bottom of Broadway so that’s what people will be expecting and acting accordingly?

I never had a single issue with the traffic light system that was there before hand, the slight break in traffic (due to traffic lights) made it a lot easier for cars merging from Castle Mona junction and parked cars in general, I think a roundabout is a backwards step personally, the only one issue I witnessed was cars parked up Broadway blocking cars from being able to enter the left turn lane and I can’t see how this roundabout has solved that.

• Like 1