Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good luck with insurance claims. An absolute piss-take that'll never work, and yes, I've seen the Poynton video.

Do you mean claiming from the 3rd Party. I assume you do

As no one has right of way (because its not a roundabout and there is no white line) then if there is an accident then surely no one can be in the wrong. So if you have a bump I am afraid its a claim on your own insurance - knock for knock -  unless you could demonstrate that the 3rd party was driving with undue care and attention (which would be difficult to do) 

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

As no one has right of way (because its not a roundabout and there is no white line)

Looking at the photo on the front of the Examiner, there are white lines - down from Broadway, and by the Villa. Maybe the other one hasn't been painted yet

23 minutes ago, kevster said:

Why?

Because, as I understand it, you don't cross the white line until there is no oncoming traffic to the right - its a stop line. Dotted is give way

However, to be a roundabout there has to be a sign saying its a roundabout as well as a dotted line marking where the roundabout starts.

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Because, as I understand it, you don't cross the white line until there is no oncoming traffic to the right - its a stop line. Dotted is give way

However, to be a roundabout there has to be a sign saying its a roundabout as well as a dotted line marking where the roundabout starts.

And yet the DOI are telling us to test it as a normal roundabout?

”The Department of Infrastructure would like to reassure motorists that the two roundels being installed at Broadway and Church Road Marina, as part of the Douglas Promenade Refurbishment Scheme, are to be driven in the same way as any other roundabout - for all the details click the link https://www.myprom.im/.../broadway-has-reopened-for... #iom #isleofman Photo credit: Isle of Man Drone”

Perhaps you treat it like you would approach any new or unfamiliar road layout. With caution. I'll be treating it like an unmarked junction until someone decides what it is & how to use it. Many views from the police or driving instructors on how to deal with this?

I also think there should be a competition to name it as no doubt it will be a future tourist attraction (& will be televised on '10 most dangerous roads series). 

I'm going with the Douglas Donut, which during TT could be changed to the Broadway Bagel for our international travellers.

LOL

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SBr said:

Perhaps you treat it like you would approach any new or unfamiliar road layout. With caution. I'll be treating it like an unmarked junction until someone decides what it is & how to use it. Many views from the police or driving instructors on how to deal with this?

I also think there should be a competition to name it as no doubt it will be a future tourist attraction (& will be televised on '10 most dangerous roads series). 

I'm going with the Douglas Donut, which during TT could be changed to the Broadway Bagel for our international travellers.

LOL

Perhaps the Promenade Sphincter !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good luck with insurance claims. An absolute piss-take that'll never work, and yes, I've seen the Poynton video.

There's a comment about Poynton that sounds familiar - 

"There’s still a few who suggest it wasn’t that bad before and the £4m that has been spent on adding two roundabouts that aren’t really roundabouts and taking away the traffic lights and road markings has created a dangerous free for all which is an accident waiting to happen."

20 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

There's a comment about Poynton that sounds familiar - 

"There’s still a few who suggest it wasn’t that bad before and the £4m that has been spent on adding two roundabouts that aren’t really roundabouts and taking away the traffic lights and road markings has created a dangerous free for all which is an accident waiting to happen."

That'll just be some overly hysterical clown with nothing better to do than moan.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

As no one has right of way (because its not a roundabout and there is no white line) then if there is an accident then surely no one can be in the wrong. So if you have a bump I am afraid its a claim on your own insurance - knock for knock -  unless you could demonstrate that the 3rd party was driving with undue care and attention (which would be difficult to do) 

...oversight with speed cameras.....?

53 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That'll just be some overly hysterical clown with nothing better to do than moan.

I drive through Poyton fairly often and it certainly is not that easy to negotiate, I now avoid by driving through a residential area as you do not get the near misses that way. It also does not get that many buses or big lorries going through it and it was supposed to get a bypass to take the through traffic away.

Average speed cameras on the mountain road would give a better return on road safety do you not agree DDB?:thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Perhaps we'll see how you think the Promenade "roundabouts" are performing in a few years time!

There's a more recent quote, which may also sound familiar - think pink concrete etc...

"The acclaimed £4m shared space traffic scheme has been branded a ‘shared nightmare’ in need of repairs to its ‘crumbling surface’.

Community group Action for Poynton say the scheme, which was introduced in 2012, has defects in the surface as well as sunken manholes and disintegrating stone blocks."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I drive through Poyton fairly often and it certainly is not that easy to negotiate, I now avoid by driving through a residential area as you do not get the near misses that way. It also does not get that many buses or big lorries going through it and it was supposed to get a bypass to take the through traffic away.

Average speed cameras on the mountain road would give a better return on road safety do you not agree DDB?:thumbsup:

We all love an average speed camera.:rolleyes:  we could even solve a problem that doesn't exist:thumbsup:

• Haha 1