Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s going to happen. It’s been shown in the sketches, artists impressions, plans, for upwards of 5 years. It won’t be changed. Get used to it. 

What makes us a laughing stock is all the moaning about something that’s not finished and no one has used.

I don’t like some of the things I see on the prom, but I’m mature enough to wait and see. Anything has to be an improvement. There were too many cars driving and parking along it. It’s a sea front attraction. Not a motorway and car park.

Is your opinion of your driving ability so low that you think you can’t cope? Re-test required.

I saw Eric Corkish, the mobility scooters on buses accessibility campaigner, had been filming himself on the prom on his scooter. Complaining.

As I say, unfinished. It’ll be much better than it was in terms of accessibility, dropped kerbs and smooth surface. His main complaints were uneven level in areas not yet completed, and his way being blocked by temporary fencing off of the areas where work is still underway. 

Just wait. Stop the premature interjections.

Eric Corkish  literally has nothing better to do.  🤡 

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s a shared space. They aren’t required. It’s compliant, whatever Delboy Flinty says.

Hopefully the whole prom will get a 20, or even better 15mph limit.

Thanks John hadn't heard of that, an interesting concept according to Wiki.

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

20mph!!! Woodbourn Rd will be nose to tail back to Laxey?

It's a major thoroughfare for Douglas, it should be two lanes at the rondel. The only shared space required is by Jaks.

What do you think the average speed on the prom actually is? Driving to road and traffic conditions mean that no one should exceed 20 on the prom. Might as well formalise it.

It shouldn’t be used as a major thorough fare. 

They should put a grandstand in and sell tickets for this. Davisons van could knock out ice creams all day.

The big problem will be the traffic coming up from the Sea Terminal end travelling straight on towards the Summerland end. They'll consider that they have right of way every time over traffic coming down Broadway and will just maintain speed, going straight over the roundels. Should be fun...  

My concern is the lack of explanation on what it is and how it is to be used.  We are told that it is just like a roundabout, but the markings don't show that.  If it is a shared space, please can we have guidance on what that means for drivers and pedestrians?  It's no good saying look at the plans, how many people are going to undertake a forensic study to understand how they must use the prom before they venture down there? 

It is like the crossings by Regent Street, what is the difference between the two?

To say it shouldn't be used as a major thoroughfare is avoiding the issue - it is a major thoroughfare and the use of the various layouts should be clear. 

Am I correct in thinking that the purple markings on the road outside Peel have now been removed?  What was their purpose and was this clear to all users? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Steady on there John. There are some people (whisper to quietly) who don't want speed limits and cameras etc.

I mentioned it recently but I think I got away with it.......🤫

• Haha 1

I took a rare trip to dirty stinking Douglas yesterday so took in the incredible sights along the prom. What I didn't realise is that those silly carved lumps of granite are actually in the middle of the road. Someone is going to cock up using this ovalabout and drive straight into one. 

21 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The big problem will be the traffic coming up from the Sea Terminal end travelling straight on towards the Summerland end. They'll consider that they have right of way every time over traffic coming down Broadway and will just maintain speed, going straight over the roundels. Should be fun...  

I think an island wide compulsory 'Roundabout Seminar' should be held. I'm sick to death of the selfish idiots who rush across, horn blaring and two fingers to everyone! Likewise, some of the timid toads who sit there all day until all traffic has subsided need a bit of a testosterone jab! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s a shared space. They aren’t required. It’s compliant, whatever Delboy Flinty says.

The build quality is still crap.

I don’t have an issue with the shared space principle as long as it is clear.  You are right it doesn’t need any road marking or signage.  I posted the link to the Highway Code previously.

For some unknown reason they have made the decorative markings on these ones look a bit like a roundabout, when it isn’t one.

John, you even said upthread yourself that there were stop lines on the approaches and there aren’t.

Why have they made in unnecessarily complicated?

24 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They should put a grandstand in and sell tickets for this. Davisons van could knock out ice creams all day.

If you look at the design you will see that there is a curve which I guess is to slow oncoming traffic from all directions and make it clear it's not just the main road. Fingers crossed!

Like @John Wrightsays. Everyone is coming to the conclusion its rubbish before it's even opened. One can understand that this is based on previous experience but let's be positive for once. 

• Like 1