Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

The build quality is still crap.

I don’t have an issue with the shared space principle as long as it is clear.  You are right it doesn’t need any road marking or signage.  I posted the link to the Highway Code previously.

For some unknown reason they have made the decorative markings on these ones look a bit like a roundabout, when it isn’t one.

John, you even said upthread yourself that there were stop lines on the approaches and there aren’t.

Why have they made in unnecessarily complicated?

There are lines, on two out of three entrances, at present. Understand the third will appear before it fully opens.

The painted ellipses are mad. I agree. 

I understand that the painted lines onto the roundel are temporary, to be replaced by inset granite markers. The granite was deleted from the contract earlier this year to save cash. There’s been £1 million + of deletions, which may or may not, be reinstated in 2022, 23, 24, 25

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There are lines, on two out of three entrances, at present. Understand the third will appear before it fully opens.

The painted ellipses are mad. I agree. 

I understand that the painted lines onto the roundel are temporary, to be replaced by inset granite markers. The granite was deleted from the contract earlier this year to save cash. There’s been £1 million + of deletions, which may or may not, be reinstated in 2022, 23, 24, 25

Still the same layout though when in granite.  Just more expensive than it is now and more likely to look crap after 12 months and need more maintenance.

I think if it was just a random pattern it would serve the purpose of differentiating the are from the rest of the road and slowing people down.

Making it look like a roundabout and Baker telling people to treat it as a roundabout is just confusing.

They really need to clarify to people what it is - a get rid of those stupid lines.  This one in Limerick makes more sense to me.

7A0D4CC7-A216-4D00-B186-4E3103515BC3.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Still the same layout though when in granite.  Just more expensive than it is now and more likely to look crap after 12 months and need more maintenance.

I think if it was just a random pattern it would serve the purpose of differentiating the are from the rest of the road and slowing people down.

Making it look like a roundabout and Baker telling people to treat it as a roundabout is just confusing.

They really need to clarify to people what it is - a get rid of those stupid lines.  This one in Limerick makes more sense to me.

7A0D4CC7-A216-4D00-B186-4E3103515BC3.jpeg

And oh, look, they’ve got granite or paviour markers. But I agree the central area really needs a separate colour and doesn’t need the concentric eggs

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It shouldn’t be used as a major thorough fare. 

I think this is the ultimate intention, in time, even to remove motorised traffic from the Prom altogether. We're being inexorably pushed towards active travel, trams and electric everywhere, it can be a long game for Govt to implement it and for us to get used to it.

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you go and look they are not lines. They would not constitute a stop line. They are magnolia curves in the style of the circles. They might want to give the driver the feeling of a stop line....but they are not stop lines. Interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

As much as I don't give a toss about the damn thing and don't see an issue for me personally, is it a legal road marking under the Road Traffic Act ? that could be a can of worms in the event of an unfortunate incident ?

The DOI have a history of erecting non-conforming street signs, attempts to enforce failed in court. I would expect the DOI to lose any challenge with this current arrangement. I showed this to a local surveyor who just laughed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

As much as I don't give a toss about the damn thing and don't see an issue for me personally, is it a legal road marking under the Road Traffic Act ? that could be a can of worms in the event of an unfortunate incident ?

Why would it be a 'can of worms'. It would be knock for knock unless someone was breaking the law.

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If you go and look they are not lines. They would not constitute a stop line. They are magnolia curves in the style of the circles. They might want to give the driver the feeling of a stop line....but they are not stop lines. Interesting. 

No, they’re not stop lines ( double and require a sign ) but they are demarcation lines 

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think this is the ultimate intention, in time, even to remove motorised traffic from the Prom altogether. We're being inexorably pushed towards active travel, trams and electric everywhere, it can be a long game for Govt to implement it and for us to get used to it.

There will be a lot less reason to go to the prom when it opens up 2 way.

There is virtually no parking anymore on Loch Prom. no diagonal, so that has at least halved it sea side and only the odd spot land side.

52 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think an island wide compulsory 'Roundabout Seminar' should be held. I'm sick to death of the selfish idiots who rush across, horn blaring and two fingers to everyone! Likewise, some of the timid toads who sit there all day until all traffic has subsided need a bit of a testosterone jab! 

Too right!  QB is a fine example where drivers coming from Douglas think they have right of way over the second roundabout as they have 'earned' that right by clearing the first.

Also so many people cut straight across the painted mini roundabouts.

Lastly, a crash course in turning right into a junction would benefit very many who seem to abhor a sharp right turn, preferring to cut over the halt sign and potentially collide with oncoming drivers coming up to the halt sign. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, they’re not stop lines ( double and require a sign ) but they are demarcation lines 

Agreed. Do they have any legal standing?

I imagine they are to draw attention to a road condition.

The highway code says you should approach mini roundabouts with caution and reduce your speed. If it's not a mini roundabout I further imagine if someone was injured or killed then you would have to demonstrate that someone was driving without due care or dangerously. 

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Hence the confusion.  Some peoples first impression (including yours) is that they are stop signs.  And as an intelligent man who looks into things you have now concluded they aren’t.

Most others won’t bother.

E8787C09-450D-41FD-8FBC-AD6699EDDA56.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Too right!  QB is a fine example where drivers coming from Douglas think they have right of way over the second roundabout as they have 'earned' that right by clearing the first.

Also so many people cut straight across the painted mini roundabouts.

Lastly, a crash course in turning right into a junction would benefit very many who seem to abhor a sharp right turn, preferring to cut over the halt sign and potentially collide with oncoming drivers coming up to the halt sign. 

And those idiots who think you can’t enter the yellow hatching of coming from Peel road and wanting to get to Railway Hill, and so block people wanting to go to Lord Street.

Time for a beer

• Like 3