Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Lastly, a crash course in turning right into a junction would benefit very many who seem to abhor a sharp right turn, preferring to cut over the halt sign and potentially collide with oncoming drivers coming up to the halt sign. 

This. But also some added basic maintenance by DOI to keep the markings on junctions painted in a clear fashion. Until recent weeks I've never known them to be in such a poor state. It seems there's at least one line painting crew about these days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

This. But also some added basic maintenance by DOI to keep the markings on junctions painted in a clear fashion. Until recent weeks I've never known them to be in such a poor state. It seems there's at least one line painting crew about these days. 

The island has one line painting crew and one pothole/ patching crew.

I wonder why our roads are so poor?

Answers on a postcard to....................................

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

The build quality is still crap.

I don’t have an issue with the shared space principle as long as it is clear.  You are right it doesn’t need any road marking or signage.  I posted the link to the Highway Code previously.

For some unknown reason they have made the decorative markings on these ones look a bit like a roundabout, when it isn’t one.

John, you even said upthread yourself that there were stop lines on the approaches and there aren’t.

Why have they made in unnecessarily complicated?

29 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The DOI have a history of erecting non-conforming street signs, attempts to enforce failed in court. I would expect the DOI to lose any challenge with this current arrangement. I showed this to a local surveyor who just laughed.

Shared space is great. When it is done well, and it isn’t on a major arterial route. It is fine, until it goes wrong. The only beneficiaries at that point are lawyers.

the great Manx roadgoing public tend to have enough issue complying with road signs and directions. A free for all is the last place I’d be going

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Shared space is great. When it is done well, and it isn’t on a major arterial route. It is fine, until it goes wrong. The only beneficiaries at that point are lawyers.

the great Manx roadgoing public tend to have enough issue complying with road signs and directions. A free for all is the last place I’d be going

Those who don't feel equipped to handle it should simply avoid it.  Which is quite easily done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Too right!  QB is a fine example where drivers coming from Douglas think they have right of way over the second roundabout as they have 'earned' that right by clearing the first.

That’s pretty much the only way it works though, I’ve tried easing off to anticipate if anyone is going to move and it either leads to beeping from behind or a Mexican standoff, not helped by people coming from Braddan not indicating or last minute when going south. Onchan traffic generally clear the roundabout without issue it’s the traffic heading to town that cut straight over the roundabout (often forced by Onchan traffic cutting across their lane) it seems to be the accepted and expected norm to just plough straight over, I suppose the difference being when someone does ‘pull out’ I’m ready at least ready to stop and it doesn’t really bother me, far to many people waste time hitting the horn, gesticulating and preforming a dramatic emergency stop when it doesn’t change the outcome, just aim for the rear of the car and go round them.

Having been tested in the last ten years and millions of miles Under my belt I'm probably better qualified to comment on the ridiculousness of this project.

I can't be bothered to argue with you because I respect your opinions even if I disagree with some of them.

Of course we will be able to get used to it, however, why should we when apparently, in a lot of folks opinions there is no need for this particular debacle when there is very little wrong with standard issue road features and markings.

Have you started on personal slights? The dig about maturity is unfortunate and not useful when it could be said that it is mature to be aware of and have the experience of the problems caused by some architectural bunions foisted on the public in the name of progress.

I don't like having to come back at you particularly, everyone is allowed opinions on this forum, I thought. That's all they are, opinions and the chance of them  creating change is negligble.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Of course we will be able to get used to it, however, why should we when apparently, in a lot of folks opinions there is no need for this particular debacle when there is very little wrong with standard issue road features and markings.

I think John raised a good point about shared space, you’d typically associate shared space with a lower speed limit, but also that there isn’t much to share up there, remove the vehicles and you wouldn’t suddenly get an increase in pedestrianised traffic or cyclists, because that’s what most people use the prom for.

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I used to love them!

At first glance in Italy, it looks absolutely terrifying but if you took a video and slowed it down you would see it all works perfectly well. Everyone pulls out in front of everyone else and somehow the traffic flows much better than when people observe the official road markings.

How many times when the traffic lights have failed at the bottom of Broadway have we said that everything works a lot better. This is just the same. At one time there were no traffic lights or roundabouts, there were straight roads and roads to the left and right. We managed. This will be the same. If anything I would hope it will make drivers concentrate more rather than relying on lights and road markings to help them out. 

Agree entirely.

The issue I have is the DOI and press consistently referring to it as a roundabout and telling people to treat it as a roundabout.

“IF” they can change peoples mindsets about how to treat it then it should work.  I think that is their biggest issue.

I would quite happily do away with all traffic laws in town apart from drive on the left,and think if everyone adjusted then it would work well.  I just don’t think you will change some peoples mindsets

The build quality is still pants though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I used to love them!

At first glance in Italy, it looks absolutely terrifying but if you took a video and slowed it down you would see it all works perfectly well. Everyone pulls out in front of everyone else and somehow the traffic flows much better than when people observe the official road markings.

How many times when the traffic lights have failed at the bottom of Broadway have we said that everything works a lot better. This is just the same. At one time there were no traffic lights or roundabouts, there were straight roads and roads to the left and right. We managed. This will be the same. If anything I would hope it will make drivers concentrate more rather than relying on lights and road markings to help them out. 

Some friends took me to what was known locally as 'the crazy crossroads' in Naples, a busy, and I mean busy intersection. Cars just eased into it and weaved their way across to the other side. Not a place for the feint hearted or those who drive around on auto pilot. 

I used to love how traffic flowed at St Ninians crossroads when the lights failed, much better than when the lights work! 

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Some friends took me to what was known locally as 'the crazy crossroads' in Naples, a busy, and I mean busy intersection. Cars just eased into it and weaved their way across to the other side. Not a place for the feint hearted or those who drive around on auto pilot. 

I used to love how traffic flowed at St Ninians crossroads when the lights failed, much better than when the lights work! 

(51) Naples Italy Traffic - Left turn yield (or not!) intersection - YouTube

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I also took the boat to Sicily and stayed there for the winter.  When we docked, the doors opened and I waited, as you do for directions from the crew to proceed but not a bit of it, ten lanes just all tried to get out at once.  Happy days.

Same on the Italian Greek ferries that go Ancona to Igoumenitsa to Patras. And that’s made worse because they don’t always load in the right order. You get to Igoumenitsa and half the cars want to disembark. The other half are staying on until Patras. I got stuck parked behind a Patras bound one. There was no way to back up. Had to wait until they found the owner. No supervision loading or unloading. Bedlam

6 hours ago, trmpton said:

Making it look like a roundabout and Baker telling people to treat it as a roundabout is just confusing.

.  This one in Limerick makes more sense to me.

7A0D4CC7-A216-4D00-B186-4E3103515BC3.jpeg

Square roundabout was quite amusing

Tho' drivers found it confusing

The Pub opened it's doors

and without any pause

A Ford was in there cruising.

• Like 1