Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

42 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Taken from the other thread, but pray tell, what the fuckety bollocks is this?

Roundel Training Area (RTA) !?

I wonder if that’s a new Covid testing area? It looks very similar to the drive through testing sites I’ve seen in the UK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

sections doesn't necessarily mean the full width of prom,  it could have been done  carriageway at a time to meet between the 2 tram lines.  with no parking on the prom traffic could have flowed in both directions all the time and it could have been one long rolling section or separate sections.

They have the 'luxury' of the parallel carriageway sized walkway along side, for a running diversion.

The job should have been straightforward enough.

A mate of mine was a project planner in the oil industry and civil engineering, and offered his services to the contractor sometime before the job started. He didn't even receive an acknowledgment. (Oh, and knew plenty about concrete cube testing).

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

A mate of mine was a project planner in the oil industry and civil engineering, and offered his services to the contractor sometime before the job started. He didn't even receive an acknowledgment. (Oh, and knew plenty about concrete cube testing).

Hmmm!

Over the last few years, I have heard on many occasions that the project is constantly struggling to find enough skilled workers. But, your ‘mate’ is not just a suitably skilled worker, he/she is a professional, and that makes a big difference. Maybe he/she would be just what this project needed, but maybe he/she would also be a threat (too much experience, too much knowledge).  In which case, it should not be a surprise that the application was promptly rejected. A cynical view I know, but these are the times we are living in. Here, we're constantly at risk that incompetence is richly rewarded and professional competence gets overlooked or even trashed.  Until this mentality changes, and quickly, the so-called “freedom to flourish” sound bite might as well be toilet paper. 

This apparent episode reminds me of the saga when Dr Glover, another skilled professional, was poorly treated.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, code99 said:

Hmmm!

Over the last few years, I have heard on many occasions that the project is constantly struggling to find enough skilled workers. But, your ‘mate’ is not just a suitably skilled worker, he/she is a professional, and that makes a big difference. Maybe he/she would be just what this project needed, but maybe he/she would also be a threat (too much experience, too much knowledge).  In which case, it should not be a surprise that the application was promptly rejected. A cynical view I know, but these are the times we are living in. Here, we constantly at risk that incompetence is richly rewarded and professional competence gets overlooked or even trashed.  Until this mentality changes, and quickly, the so-called “freedom to flourish” sound bite might as well be toilet paper. 

This apparent episode reminds me of the saga when Dr Glover, another skilled professional, was poorly treated.

A mate of mine offered his services too.  Didnt get an acknowledgement. 

That's BS by the way.  Which is far more likely to be where you should take the cynical view.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

A mate of mine offered his services too.  Didnt get an acknowledgement. 

That's BS by the way.  Which is far more likely to be where you should take the cynical view.

Happy to provide you with all the details.

Provided - once you have been shown to be wrong - that you run up and down Tynwald Hill on Tynwald Day, in front of your pals and paymasters, screaming that you are a bit of a silly billy.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Provided - once you have been shown to be wrong - that you run up and down Tynwald Hill on Tynwald Day, in front of your mates and paymasters, screaming that you are a bit of a silly billy.

He's just being a bit hysterical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Provided - once you have been shown to be wrong - that you run up and down Tynwald Hill on Tynwald Day, in front of your mates and paymasters, screaming that you are a bit of a silly billy.

As I have said before government here at won't ever employ anyone competent/intelligent as it would just highlight their own failings/inadequacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Provided - once you have been shown to be wrong - that you run up and down Tynwald Hill on Tynwald Day, in front of your pals and paymasters, screaming that you are a bit of a silly billy.

Why the condition?

Is it not enough to be proved right? ( If indeed you are)

No need for a game of “ Call my bluff” If you have the evidence just provide it. You can still then  be smug and superior.

Tynwald approved the scheme. Well, there's an election coming up but I don't expect that to make any difference!!!

Should the DoI have kept an eye on the way things were proceeding> Yes, they should have looked at what was wrong and gone back to Tynwald.

So who's fault was it? Got to be DoI for not looking again at the origional scheme, to iron out the excesses, but we have abunch of people who have made their derisions and are not willing to admit that they were wrong and look again at the mess they have made.

This reluctance to admit an error happens time and again in public and private enterprise, when it's the shareholders loss, we are not too concerned but when a public purse loss then we are naturally concerned even if we can't remember our MHK voting for it?  So don't expect Sept to make any difference in that!

It boils down to who is going to admit to being wrong? Nobody !!!

• Like 3