Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Does sand provide a firm enough base for the heavy traffic that the prom gets?

Sand is the best base to lay a foundation on, provided the sand is contained.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Why would you go to Victoria Street to get across the prom? 

No. There is what looks like a crossing right next to it but people don't seem to treat it as such, as I found out when i was nearly runover crossing there today. I don't understand why they can't install a temporary crossing there with a bit of paint? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

No. There is what looks like a crossing right next to it but people don't seem to treat it as such, as I found out when i was nearly runover crossing there today. I don't understand why they can't install a temporary crossing there with a bit of paint? 

There are two things that look like crossings, one stripey, the other not.  No idea what they are for or the rules that apply.

My comment was about the useful tip to go to Victoria Street. 

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There are two things that look like crossings, one stripey, the other not.  No idea what they are for or the rules that apply.

They did this in Port Erin also. Its very odd. There's a crossing that is definitely a crossing and a crossing that might be a crossing but isnt marked as one that everyone uses as a crossing as it is in a better place than the signed crossing, about 20m apart if that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They did this in Port Erin also. Its very odd. There's a crossing that is definitely a crossing and a crossing that might be a crossing but isnt marked as one that everyone uses as a crossing as it is in a better place than the signed crossing, about 20m apart if that.

The stripey one on the prom looks like it has had too many boil washes.  Then the one outside Admiral House is just a dull colour.  So not sure which one is a crossing and what purpose the other one serves.

The problem is the prom is a major vehicular route, it isn't a lightly used road from which traffic will easily go elsewhere leaving it to users of necessity and pedestrians. 

• Like 2

What springs to mind here is the old adage that a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

It's like there's been a whole host of disparate ideas lumped together in the Prom with no regard to standing regulations and the only priority was to include as many of those ideas as possible regardless of what the overall outcome was going to be?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

The stripey one on the prom looks like it has had too many boil washes.  Then the one outside Admiral House is just a dull colour.  So not sure which one is a crossing and what purpose the other one serves.

The one outside Admiral House is an unmanaged crossing. It’s all part of the ‘shared space’ idea. The managed crossing have pedestrian controlled lights or Belisha Beacons. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Brick paving is a "flexible" surface BUT it is super strong if laid correctly. Most shipping container handling docks have it for that quality.

It can be laid over hardcore, concrete, tarmac or any other strong foundation as long as there is a even 2" of compacted sand between it and the sub base/  foundation .

This looks like it was laid directly on the concrete which is very wrong.

Here’s a close up of it: 

92B41D94-BEA1-4EC1-AAB4-8D6CDB8B650D.jpeg

5FC7824D-FB00-4A62-960B-0285B05DDC77.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kevster said:

The one outside Admiral House is an unmanaged crossing. It’s all part of the ‘shared space’ idea. The managed crossing have pedestrian controlled lights or Belisha Beacons. 

If it is shared space then why do you need managed crossings?.

It’s shared space where nothing has priority I would have thought.

10 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Derek hit the nail on the head when he said shared spaces are fine in the right setting, on a main route to work is not one.

Ever been to Bergerac? Main road is a shared space right through the centre. Those French are very clever with things like that though.